Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soreau View Post
    The problem is that you guys are key factors in my frustrations that led to the harsh outlashing. Even right now here on phoronix, you just wont let me walk. Please just let it go and accept the fact that what's done is done and over now.
    You say that like you didn't just message me on the blue, unsolicited, on IRC to call me a 'pathetic loser', say that things had '[blown] up in [my] face like a firecracker', etc.

First you complained that no-one was willing to explain to you how the core protocol worked. Now when people you do you complain that no-one leaves you alone. And in the meantime, out of the public eye, you're rolling out unsolicited abuse. And that's a one-line summary of Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked. Goodnight.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
      The compositor advertises extension versions along with the name. So the client shouldn't be sending requests it knows the compositor doesn't support.
      Interesting. But what if the client depends on some feature that is not present in the old version of the compositor? Some extension that didn't exist back then? Is that something the client should take care of, or should the compositor be the one that refuses such connections?

Another issue that I can think of is feature deprecation. If you have an extension in version 1, and then decided that it was a poor idea to have it as a single extension and split it into two extensions in version 2, does it mean that the compositor is forced to maintain the deprecated extension, just to satisfy old clients?

Everyone involved with Wayland has tried to co-operate with him for the last year. Even for the ones who are still trying, he just flat-out ignores our advice, suggestions, requests and pleas, so: why bother? Nothing we say has ever made a whit of difference to his code, his decisions, or his attitude. People tried to explain the exact same thing to him when he forked and they were asking him to only fork Weston rather than Wayland, but he brushed them away as the work of people with 'agendas' against him, as if we've nothing better to do with our lives than sit around planning the downfall of Scott Moreau.
      Sure, he can be very rude when he's angered, but that's really no reason to provoke such a response deliberately. If he doesn't take your advice, so be it, but don't end up not even trying. That will only make matters worse. Also, what's done is done, nobody can change the past, but you can still change the future.

You say we, but this has only been a cosistent issue with you and Darxus. I have not had problems of such great frustrations with any of the other quantity of wayland community members or core developers. See http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...895#post321895 Thanks.
      And you should also try to take into account what the Wayland developers are saying, because they usually know what they are saying. Also, the main reason why people feel that you are not worth cooperating with is your tendency to lose control under pressure. Try and control that, and I'm sure people will have an easier time. For one, so far you're not doing too bad on this topic, just try and stick to the technical side rather than on the drama.

Comment

Even right now here on phoronix, you just wont let me walk. Please just let it go and accept the fact that what's done is done and over now.
        If you wanted them to let you walk, why did you bash them in your first post? You really think you can bash people, and then get upset that they won't leave you alone when they respond?
        Last edited by TheBlackCat; 29 March 2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

First you complained that no-one was willing to explain to you how the core protocol worked.

Wrong. I said that I wanted to know how the wayland developers wanted me to program it correctly so it's suitable for upstream inclusion. You are sadly a mess of intentional confusion.

Comment

Yes I was wrong and shouldn't have lashed out so harshly. I did a apologize before I was banned from IRC but apparently it had gone too far in Kristian's eyes.
            So, if they allowed you back, would you be able to avoid similar behavior in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              So, if they allowed you back, would you be able to avoid similar behavior in the future?
              I have privately queried Kristian H?gsberg to explain the situation, appologize again and asked for his guidance in this. He is the *only* one with commit access to the core upstream wayland/weston repositories and one of the lead the great minds behind wayland and the driver infrastucture set in place for wayland and all of Linux. I also asked him about the status of the SDL2 wayland backend work hosted on my github and getting it included upstream for the SDL2 release as discussed here:

I am still awaiting a reply.

Comment

I was just dreaming that Wayland documentation's was written as fast as comments on phoronix forum.

Comment

I am not much technical, but I see you have a commit-block situation, that remotely represents the Gentoo problem back in days.
                  Once Robbins left, the Gentoo Concil was formed. Apparently, the amount of bureaucracy and personal standings leaded huge development slowdown and distribution popularity fallback.

What I recommend you, is exherbo development approach. The surface formed of many tiles created and maintained by individual developers without any barriers, which then come together and are let into "stable" area, on as needed basis.
                  Please look it up, thank you!

Comment

in correct. I will refer you to the northfield and norwood repository commit lists:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

you can see commits from many other contributers than myself not found in upstream wayland/weston repositories. Read up before posting, i encourage it. Thanks.
                    hahahahahahaahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                      hahahahahahaahaha.
                      If you find those funny, you'll really get a kick out of my youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74v...?feature=watch or perchance, you'd find the slashdot post humorous http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/0...thfieldnorwood

Comment

Working...
                      X