Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ Is Becoming Very Usable With Wayland

Phoronix: GTK+ Is Becoming Very Usable With Wayland

The state of the GTK+ tool-kit for the Wayland Display Server is now ready for day-to-day use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All this Wayland progress looks nice, but I can't even test it until there's an Nvidia blob for Wayland. Nouveau doesn't work with my gt240 ddr5 card, so the proprietary driver is my only choice if I want to have graphical desktop...

Comment

you can run vesa just to see wayland for kicks. the blob wouldn't be available for at least a year.

Comment

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
        All this Wayland progress looks nice, but I can't even test it until there's an Nvidia blob for Wayland. Nouveau doesn't work with my gt240 ddr5 card, so the proprietary driver is my only choice if I want to have graphical desktop...
        Surely it wouldn't cost too much to replace that card with one with similar performance and which does support the open source driver. It's not exactly a high-performance card.

Comment

So after all Mir was a good thing to stir up competition

Comment

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
            Nvidia did say at a point that they will not support (ever) wayland, so if you dont want to develop yourself the nouvou support or somebody else does it, or you buy another card I guess you will never ever be able to use wayland.

But maybe they reverted their statement since? I would think they try to do that, because they have now their Nvidia-Linux with the Nvidia-output server (ubuntu / mir).

So I guess the xorg developers cant hinder that ubuntu will fork their drivers and make it work on the mir server, but the other way around it will not happen I guess.

I hope ubuntu will overdue them and they fail in managing all their forking work and get buggy. I would wish that for them.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
              So after all Mir was a good thing to stir up competition
              One of the most annoying aspects about Mir, is having to deal with everyone who inevitable attributes all post-Mir Wayland developments to it's announcement. While there surely was some unification spurred by Canonical's retarded choice to divide one of the most fundamental pieces of the Linux desktop environment, the Wayland progress you're seeing now is due to many months of work gone on before that announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                So I guess the xorg developers cant hinder that ubuntu will fork their drivers and make it work on the mir server, but the other way around it will not happen I guess.
                It is rumored that NVidia is writing a EGL, DS-agnostic driver that will benefit both Mir and Wayland (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMTI). Let us hope this is the case and that AMD will follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                  It is rumored that NVidia is writing a EGL, DS-agnostic driver that will benefit both Mir and Wayland (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMTI). Let us hope this is the case and that AMD will follow suit.
                  Yeah, since both mir and wayland are using EGL it should not be super difficult to write a driver that works with both of them, I'm hoping this is what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                    They (AMD) will follow suit - primarily the reason being is that most people don't give a rat's ass for powerful GPUs on their laptops anymore and Intel HD is more than enough for anyone but serious gamers. Intel HD's drivers are already open source and actively worked on to get them into tip top shape, with similar performance to their Windows counterpart. Intel also back Tizen which will run on Wayland and of all the wannabe platforms that competed with Android, about the only one that stands a chance to cut out a piece of the market is Tizen running atop Linux/Wayland w/a HTML5 development platform for most apps as well as a C++ for native apps (i.e. gaming). While at it, Linux also gains a killer display server on the desktop - Wayland atop which Gnome and KDE will run. Win-win across the board (except maybe for those NIH people at Canonical .

Finally things are coming together on desktop side of Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X