GTK+ Is Becoming Very Usable With Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F i L View Post
    One of the most annoying aspects about Mir, is having to deal with everyone who inevitable attributes all post-Mir Wayland developments to it's announcement. While there surely was some unification spurred by Canonical's retarded choice to divide one of the most fundamental pieces of the Linux desktop environment, the Wayland progress you're seeing now is due to many months of work gone on before that announcement.
    +1. You don't actually have more development on Wayland, it is just that the announcement of Mir lead to more news coverage on Wayland, so that people suddenly believe there would be more effort.

Comment

All i am waiting is the mozilla people.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        +1. You don't actually have more development on Wayland, it is just that the announcement of Mir lead to more news coverage on Wayland, so that people suddenly believe there would be more effort.
        Not to mention Mir was announced right around a time when many of Wayland's fruits are beginning to ripen.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
          One of the most annoying aspects about Mir, is having to deal with everyone who inevitable attributes all post-Mir Wayland developments to it's announcement. While there surely was some unification spurred by Canonical's retarded choice to divide one of the most fundamental pieces of the Linux desktop environment, the Wayland progress you're seeing now is due to many months of work gone on before that announcement.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            Nvidia did say at a point that they will not support (ever) wayland
            Not even close - what they said was that they had no plans to support Wayland. Not having any plans when someone asked several years ago is a very different matter from saying that they weren't going to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
              Finally things are coming together on desktop side of Linux.
              I think it's a rainy windy road still . Late 2013's still distant, and we don't know yet the outcome of wayland.

Comment

GTK+ Is Becoming Very Usable With Wayland

I for one applaud this. It's about time we get something 'fit for everyday use' out of wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Not even close - what they said was that they had no plans to support Wayland. Not having any plans when someone asked several years ago is a very different matter from saying that they weren't going to support it.
                  thats maybe not exact, but it was of course "close".

Comment

Originally posted by ripps818 View Post
                    All this Wayland progress looks nice, but I can't even test it until there's an Nvidia blob for Wayland. Nouveau doesn't work with my gt240 ddr5 card, so the proprietary driver is my only choice if I want to have graphical desktop...
                    Out of curiosity, by 'does not work' you mean it won't even start X properly (rainbow colours immediately before even reaching the login screen)?

What happens if you disable acceleration? Is the desktop even usable if you do?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      thats maybe not exact, but it was of course "close".
                      No, "we do not" and "we will not" are not close.
                      And "will not ever" is right out.

Comment

Working...
                      X