Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.8.0 Supports Wayland 1.0, Better Performance

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.8.0 Supports Wayland 1.0, Better Performance

GTK+ 3.8.0 has been released ahead of this week's GNOME 3.8 desktop release. GTK+ 3.8 supports the Wayland 1.0 protocol, provides Broadway HTML5 server advancements, performance improvements, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the "frame synchronization protocol"?

Have they included the GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE extension?

Comment

I hope this can be seen as a milestone to start develop wayland compatible apps. It has been a long time coming, but it seems someone should make the push so we can finally ditch X.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        I hope this can be seen as a milestone to start develop wayland compatible apps. It has been a long time coming, but it seems someone should make the push so we can finally ditch X.
        Rather leave X alone, as its staying for a long time to come..

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
          http://fishsoup.net/misc/wm-spec-synchronization.html (see this blog post http://blog.fishsoup.net/2012/11/28/...frame-display/ for why it is needed).

GTK does not render using OpenGL, but yes we added support for GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE / EGL_EXT_BUFFER_AGE to clutter and cogl.
          Which means on supported drivers you have no tearing and improved performance when running clutter apps (like gnome-shell).

Comment

I hope they finally made 3.8 backwards compatible with 3.6 themes

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post

The protocol refers to the communication that occurs between WM and client. Specifically, the app will tell the compositor when it is finished with its buffer (no partially drawn frames), and the compositor will let the app know when it is drawing too fast for the compositor (save energy). That's my understanding.

I've found no mention in the mutter git of them making use of that glx extension.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                I've found no mention in the mutter git of them making use of that glx extension.
                As I said above we use cogl and clutter to abstract away opengl / glx / egl so you'd have to look there:

Add a new BUFFER_AGE winsys feature and a get_buffer_age method to cogl-onscreen that allows to query the value. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=669122 Reviewed-by: Neil Roberts Reviewed-by: Robert Bragg Note: When landing...

This adds support for the EGL_EXT_buffer_age extension which is a counterpart to the GLX_EXT_buffer_age extension. Reviewed-by: Neil Roberts

Use the buffer_age extension when available to recycle backbuffer contents instead of blitting from the back to front buffer when doing clipped redraws. The picking is now done in a...

Comment

Wayland

Looking forward to the improved Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    You must be using open source gpu drivers, because those of us who aren't won't be able to ditch X until AMD and nvidia get their acts together.

Comment

Working...
                    X