No announcement yet.

Wayland/Weston Gets Forked As "GH-Next"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical developing Mir: shitstorm because Canonical wants control over their project.

soreau forking wayland, introducing patches which break functionality: it's FOSS, you can do everything what you want.

AFAIR, soreau was first to criticize Canonical on #wayland

FOSS COMMUNITY'S HYPOCRISY.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
      Canonical developing Mir: shitstorm because Canonical wants control over their project.

soreau forking wayland, introducing patches which break functionality: it's FOSS, you can do everything what you want.

AFAIR, soreau was first to criticize Canonical on #wayland

FOSS COMMUNITY'S HYPOCRISY.
      This "fork" is not meant to become a production-level display server used in actual distros. It's not meant to compete with Wayland, it's just a testbed for testing new stuff, like the maintainer says. To compare it with Mir is plain idiocy.

But hey. Don't let the facts get in the way of fanboyism...

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        I totally understand Mir now

Maybe he could contribute to ubuntu.
        You totally understand nothing now.
        First of all, if a patch must to be accepted no metter what, then there is no need for a maintainer, a bot is enough for to apply the patch when it arrive.
        Second, as I quoted in my previuos post, there is a clear statement from Khr that explain very well the situation:
        No. These patches breaks many of the core goals of wayland/weston with DE-like features.
        <krh> weston isn't going to be a full DE, starting a new DE is specifically a non-goal of wayland
        <krh> and I've always said that fleshing out wl_shell will have to wait until we have at least one real DE to driver the work
        <krh> otherwise it's all just going to be guesswork
        I highlight the important part: I've always said that fleshing out wl_shell will have to wait until we have at least one real DE to driver the work
        So, basically, Scott want more work (and more response) on the DE-like features when khr show low interest in this aspect until a real DE start to driver the work.
        Taking this in mind, it is logic that Scott had started to fork the repo for to have more freedom in the develop of the DE-feature, in any case, some part can to be extracted and applied upstream if needed. So you risk to enlarge the problem more than it deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          Wait, wasn't Ubuntu doing exactly that?

---

Personally I find this idea huge waste of effort.

It would be a lot nicer, if the guy just did one single post describing all contributions he made, time and effort it took to submit and reason why there were not accepted.

That would place the ironsights exactly on the problem.
          i would call this a waste of effort. it would change nothing, instead only start a uuseless discussion with no result.

Instead ... effort has split, and we have just another graphics system,.. wonderful for confusing beginner contributors and distro developers.
          I am not criticizing him though, its still a decent decision.
          please stop this "split effort" bullshit!
          we are talking about open source projects. this is not a centralized controlled project development. in the past developement in oss went exactly like this, people were forking and porting back and merging.

you cannot expect that people that have something to contribute wait endlessly to get accepted by others controlling a project. it simply doesn't and never worked. though when their forks yields some good results THEN their contributions got sucked into other projects and one of the forks survived.

these are not split ressources, it is how it works without a central project management.

Comment

Nothing to see here, walk along

If you actually read the follow-ups on the mailing list it becomes clear that:

- Weston is forked into a playground compositor. Weston is a reference compositor, so this was bound to happen eventually.
            - Wayland isn't forked, it's just being branched to have some experimental patches to support some experimental things in the playground compositor.
            - There's no flamewar or schism in the community

Comment

Whatever this is about and/or turns into, his comments about frustrations with patches not being accepted upstream sounds like Mir wasn't so crazy for Canonical to pursue.

Before you spend your precious time writing a lengthy debunking, note the vague qualifiers I use. I'm not endorsing Mir in any way. Just stating what it looks like on the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
                Whatever this is about and/or turns into, his comments about frustrations with patches not being accepted upstream sounds like Mir wasn't so crazy for Canonical to pursue.
                Only that Mir is not at all about Wayland not accepting (not existing Canonical) patches, it is all about total control. Otherwise they would have stated that they won't work with the Wayland team because of this and invented bogus technical reasons.

Comment

Mine was a meta comment about externally viewing Mir in the context of this situation and not about anything related to Canonical's decision making processes. In other words -- it might very well be that Mir is in the end the best decision for Canonical for completely accidental and/or unrelated reasons to their initial internal discussions technical inaccuracy notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                    What exactly qualifies as hostility for you?
                    See libav/ffmpeg split.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      This "fork" is not meant to become a production-level display server used in actual distros. It's not meant to compete with Wayland, it's just a testbed for testing new stuff, like the maintainer says. To compare it with Mir is plain idiocy.

But hey. Don't let the facts get in the way of fanboyism...
                      ++ THAT!

Omg, if of thousends of opensource developers out there some have different interests and they on objective level response with disagrement and have different goals, of course Ubuntu is allowed to become the next Microsoft?

Omg, if thats so... why do we not finaly have the new ubuntu-kernel. Linus is also a dictator and does each few weeks even sometimes not friendly tell to some people they should fuck themself and should not send him patches ever again.

Yes some of this developers, as linus told himself, where suicidal after getting his emails.

So please don't construct out of a small disagreement, with a very logical reason, (I would have wondered too, if the X-team would combine Gnome + Xorg-stack to one thing...), a reason for Canonical running amok.

EDIT:

I mean for what do we have git now? To manage some patchsets diff files or something like that, even svn where you needed a server produced some overhead, if you wanted your own version, and merging and stuff were more painfull... But with git to have a branch is easy and cheap, so where is the problem? Why must there be one central branch with everything from weston out in the world?

And if the idead of this guy are really that good, in 6 months he will be the main-developer of a new project forked from wayland or weston... and all distributions will only include his stuff after 1-2 years from now...
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 25 March 2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X