X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Tons of widely used apps and libraries are technically "reference implementations" of some specification. A reference implementation is not the same thing as a sample or example. It's meant to be usable, real software that can _also_ serve as a reference to test/develop against.

A simple example is libpng, which is used almost everywhere that supports PNGs but is labeled the "PNG reference implementation."
    Or CPython, still the most commonly used version of Python.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yeah Canonical sucks I know. Need I remember you that if there was no Ubuntu and all you had was Arch and that Slackware shit or fedora linux would still only be on servers?
    People had been using Linux on the desktop long before Ubuntu showed up. I know, I was playing with it at the time. To allege otherwise is a blatant falsehood.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 13 March 2013, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    The problem here is that Weston is a reference implementation. Not really meant to be final form since its design was cooked up when Wayland was much more primitive.
    Tons of widely used apps and libraries are technically "reference implementations" of some specification. A reference implementation is not the same thing as a sample or example. It's meant to be usable, real software that can _also_ serve as a reference to test/develop against.

A simple example is libpng, which is used almost everywhere that supports PNGs but is labeled the "PNG reference implementation."

Leave a comment:

• Kostas
    replied
    Has the development speed of Wayland actually been affected? All I see is proxies responding to Mir (and Wayland devs countering Canonical's pathetic fake excuses) yet even that is at this stage talk rather than code, both of which could have been Canonical's if their interaction with the community wasn't as it is.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    That's my theory too - as I was mostly joking.... but it goes out the window because he originally bet on Wayland... then reneged.
    Unless Mir is even more vaporware than we suspect, and that the entire purpose is to pressure other people into doing all the finishing work on finishing Wayland - thus saving Canonical the effort of having to contribute any real work. How's that for conspiracy theories?

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    I read the article and it wasn't me that started to talk about GNOME and all that.

I was talking about Wayland and that wasn't finished , sure, Weston is simply a DE "demo", it's not Wayland per se , but guess what ? Anyone that wants to use Wayland now, it has to use WESTON in practice, so , if WESTON is not finished is like Wayland is not finished because besides Weston , there is no other (fully working) DE for Wayland.
    Its like you would say, eih GCC is not ready because the linux kernel was not bugfree enough that it could get compiled by it. And because Linux is maybe the most used software by gcc or maybe was one of the first... gcc isnt done yet. You see the wrongness of that argument?

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    i got enough of explain the infamous minimize situation to every iliterate that take it as flag to defend any crazy notion it has on wayland, so look in forum i explained enough.

wayland and mir require a massive rework of many massive projects and both will take time to be fully implemented[mir or not is still 2 or 3 years either one you choose] but well i guess since you most likely has never written any serious code you will response another dude nonsense
    I read that posts, and after read them, IMHO, minimize/maximize is not (fully) working (as intended/supposed_to ) and so, it's not working, IMHO, YMMV.

Depends of what you call serious code....if you mean size of a project and/or complexity, yeah, i didn't code for any big company, yeah, i didn't code anything like X, Wayland or whatever of that complexity....

OTOH, i'm old enough to have coded in Assembler and also coded in FoxPro for a company....in my life i coded from Basic to Assembler passing by (Turbo) Pascal, (A)Rexx, Java, etc. etc. I also coded for micro-controllers...and i write the programs alone from begin to end.

But no, i don't look to it as a profession (my main profession is another) and more like a Hobby , so , i guess is not serious programming...

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    Gnome is not ready its not ported, if you make gtk and nobody did make a programm with it, gtk is still done, you do not get modularisation or you think that wayland is gnome or something, read the article again, nobody says there, that they want to implement wayland or complete the wayland implementation, they want to make a gnome-port ready...

So you trying to make a point where no point is to make a point.

And if maximizing and minimizing in WESTON is not possible a example implementation of a DE or something like that, than is the Sample app not targeted for production systems, that again does say nothing about wayland.

Its like when you find a bug in kde, and then you say the X-Server is buggy. thats just unlogical and wrong!

I read the article and it wasn't me that started to talk about GNOME and all that.

I was talking about Wayland and that wasn't finished , sure, Weston is simply a DE "demo", it's not Wayland per se , but guess what ? Anyone that wants to use Wayland now, it has to use WESTON in practice, so , if WESTON is not finished is like Wayland is not finished because besides Weston , there is no other (fully working) DE for Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    The first thing I ever programmed was a text-based game on C64 BASIC where you were traveling in a space ship and got in trouble and had to answer math questions to clear each problem.

Leave a comment:

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
    Where is the ROFL smile? I freaking loled. They started working on their own calculator and something else. Yeah gooo canonical u will conquer the world!!!! L O L. Seriously douchebag, how can something that is not even ready for use can change linux desktop? And i have to remind u that people u call assholes behind kde/gnome is what make linux desktop. Shuttleworth is clown.
    I loled when I read that and remembered the first thing I ever programmed was a calculator with visual basic That was after the teacher showed a few things of the IDE.

Hahahaha, should not be too hard for them to do a calculator. Maybe they will have even some peeps left to troll about MIR

Leave a comment:

Working...
X