GNOME Will Move Full-Speed With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    What if Wayland moves its ass once for all? It is almost vaporware.
    It's more like the desktops have to move their asses. The specification of Wayland is already finished.

Comment

The problem here is that Weston is a reference implementation. Not really meant to be final form since its design was cooked up when Wayland was much more primitive.

So what really would be needed to get everything imaginable out of Wayland, would be to write a compositor from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        See Mir is a good thing, we should have Wayland adoption in no time now =).
        haha, my thoguhts. seems mir is speeding up all other projects.

thank you canonical

Comment

The announcement was probably meant to discourage Ubuntu from Mir. Since Gnome refuses to support Mir, then Ubuntu will have to actually contribute back or totally make up their own desktop envirnment. I can't speak for Gnome, but I know KDE is already full speed ahead for Wayland.

The take-away: Canonical stands alone.

Comment

I love Mir!

It gave such a nice kick in the ass to everyone who was working on Wayland , out of complacency and into action.

Thank you Mark et al! If that was your plan all along, that's just pure genius!

Comment

Some people call it fragmentation. I call it selection pressure. Competition is always good for motivating people. Good times ahead!

Comment

1. The Steambox will get released before Mir and therefore certainly rely on X.org
                2. Do you really think Valve would risk using experimental software for their big linux push?
                Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                One more benefit.

Ubuntu as distro blessed by Valve WILL land in Steam Box. Hence Canonical have BIGGER leverage over AMD/Nvidia to commit to supporting something new in their gpu drivers (or else they risk missing profits from selling GPU's in those Steam Box'es).

Wayland do not have that leverage.
                (Tizen will use wayland, but do not know if they choose weston or roll their own solution, and have no idea what requirements there will be for gpu drivers there, nor if Tizen Wayland implementation will be license-compatible with Weston).

So if Weston folks will wont use API's developed for Mir, than we also gain Wayland on proprietary blobs faster.

Comment

Suddenly, people like Mir. 8)

Comment

Good thing

The recent Mir announcement makes it a bit more urgent that we put our weight behind Wayland and help it reach its full potential.
                    And they are aiming at spring 2014! Does that mean that if Mir wasn't announced there wouldn't be a usable Wayland display server one year from now? I really do understand why Canonnical couldn't keep on waiting for it to ship.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                      It gave such a nice kick in the ass to everyone who was working on Wayland , out of complacency and into action.

Thank you Mark et al! If that was your plan all along, that's just pure genius!
                      That is not true at all.

Canonical said they'd use Wayland. They decided otherwise but never bothered to tell anyone until way later. We have been assuming they'd do their share of the work needed to use Wayland. Now that Canonical finally made public that they are not going to do their share, we're stepping up.

Mir is speeding up nothing. Canonical should've made their decision known to GNOME, even if just privately. Now we have been doing work, but still thought they'd do most of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X