X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F i L
    replied
    Originally posted by Petteri View Post
    That would be bad way to handle this. Users without root password wouldn't be able to change their desktops display settings, usability would be annoying and using root privileges is bad for security.
    No, you're right, that is a bad idea. I think the best solution (and something I believe has been talked about with "asking" vs "setting") is that a "request" for fullscreen means the compositor can remember the previous settings used (before the request), and automatically set things back when that process exits.

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    "ASKING" for change of resolution will NOT WORK MIRACLES.

Unless display manager can not be notified that app quited, and can not restore previous settings, app that ASKED for change of resolution will F*ck Up your screen resolution same as that who did not asked for permission...

It's lack of reliable RESTORATION, that is problem. Its normal that app misbehave. Display manager/server/compositior/ Whole D*** OS can not assume otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Petteri
    replied
    Originally posted by F i L View Post
    Just require root permissions. The Control Panel could have both a "basic" (wallpaper, timezone, etc) and "secure" (display, hostname, etc) sections. The Secure section requires the root password.
    That would be bad way to handle this. Users without root password wouldn't be able to change their desktops display settings, usability would be annoying and using root privileges is bad for security.

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    People shouldn't confuse the requirements for something like a control panel displays applet or command line mode switcher, for the case that a user wants to switch resolution, from the case where an app wants to switch.
    Just require root permissions. The Control Panel could have both a "basic" (wallpaper, timezone, etc) and "secure" (display, hostname, etc) sections. The Secure section requires the root password.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    I for one fully agree that a client should only be able to _ask_ for a resolution, not _set_ it. I had enough of it with crashing games and/or bad drivers on Linux that left me with a crappy desktop at super low/broken res.
    People shouldn't confuse the requirements for something like a control panel displays applet or command line mode switcher, for the case that a user wants to switch resolution, from the case where an app wants to switch.

Leave a comment:

• valeriodean
    replied
    I think the wayland's devs have clear in mind that problem, so lets they work on the patch and through next versions to arrive to the right solution, as usual.
    For example, the problem is already under discussion:
    For the issue with a client dying and leaving the compositor in a weird
    resolution. Perhaps the API could change so that clients can specify
    that the resolution change is contextual, and the previous resolution
    would be set back when the client dies (it would look like the exclusive
    part of the screenshooter).

Anyway it is really useful for testing mode_switch() callbacks.
    Actually I'm waiting for the PQ's work on subsurface and its refinement, because subsurface implementation will be useful for a lot of features and will help the completion of QtWayland in time for the release of Qt 5.1 I hope.

Leave a comment:

• jayrulez
    replied
    Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    Yeah, frak you Mir!

Something like XRandR is not something that is desirable for wayland/weston so I'm not sure why you seem so happy about this.

Leave a comment:

• Redi44
    replied
    Yeah, frak you Mir!

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Micket View Post
    Luckily Unity3D doesn't seem to do so, so all those games won't mess shit up at least.
    From what I can tell, that's because they never scale down the resolution, they just scale up the viewport to match the native one instead.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
    If the mir announcement was only a bluff, an elaborate ruse, a backhanded way to light a fire under the wayland/weston developers, to supercharge the pace of development?
    Why would they do the coding then? Mir's repo has code going back months

Leave a comment:

Working...
X