Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Okay guys, just because they think they have good reasons for it doesn't make Canonical right. They're taking a huge risk for us, and this is why it's so unsafe to have a 'flagship' Linux distro. In light of these events, I think it would be important to bolster the strength and usability of the alternatives, like openSuSE and Fedora. Unfortunately, aside from the DEs, their user experiences seem to be even more misguided than Ubuntu's, albeit compatible.

We need an Ubuntu-killer, as well as Ubuntu.
    Care to explain just what is misguided about openSUSE's user experience?

Comment

..it will be a miracle if Mir is ready for all form factors in a production environment by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS next year.
      I think they'll dump Mir into 14.04 in whatever state it is by then. I still remember the 11.04 release with that horrible wacky Unity version with black background, later some dev from Canonical acknowledged they just dumped their latest snapshot of Unity onto users and called it "stable" and subject for further improvement.

So 14.04 won't be LTS, but rather TSR (the shitty release), and 16.04 should be good enough, that is true LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        I think they'll dump Mir into 14.04 in whatever state it is by then. I still remember the 11.04 release with that horrible wacky Unity version with black background, later some dev from Canonical acknowledged they just dumped their latest snapshot of Unity onto users and called it "stable" and subject for further improvement.

So 14.04 won't be LTS, but rather TSR (the shitty release), and 16.04 should be good enough, that is true LTS.
        You really think 3 years will be enough time for them to get their act together in working order? particularly given Wayland has taken 5 and is still not really ready....

Comment

Why is wayland not good anymore for their needs?

On the other hand it is a huge benefit to be compatible with android drivers. I wonder how much they have to pay in features/performance for using an older design instead of something like wayland? Or maybe this turns out to be better than wayland? At least canonical has resources to spill into this project.
          Last edited by varikonniemi; 05 March 2013, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            I really don't get what canonical is doing. Why is wayland not good anymore for their needs? Wayland should be perfect for their phone/tv/tablet needs?
            I think nobody but Canonical really gets what they're doing. I mean they make complaints about wayland but other than the initial announcement it's sounding like they never even actually talked to the wayland people, and the wayland people have disproven everything that has been brought up by Canonical so far as merely FUD by people who don't understand wayland, or X for that matter.. and yeah... The general conclusion seems to be that Canonical is doing it because it gives them control of the Display Server..

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

At least one could avoid Unity and use any of the others. How the heck do you ignore Mir? Hopefully there will be guides to install X.org. I've no idea if the time frame they have set for themselves with Mir is realistic. Unity is good in 12.10 (for my needs) and they are working on ironing out the last kinks. It took till now for Unity to not suck but a replacement for X? Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I think nobody but Canonical really gets what they're doing. I mean they make complaints about wayland but other than the initial announcement it's sounding like they never even actually talked to the wayland people, and the wayland people have disproven everything that has been brought up by Canonical so far as merely FUD by people who don't understand wayland, or X for that matter.. and yeah... The general conclusion seems to be that Canonical is doing it because it gives them control of the Display Server..
                Here's a link to the IRC log another user posted (sorry, I forgot the username) of the session where the Mir devs are talking to the Wayland devs: http://pastebin.com/KjRm3be1

Comment

... showcasing the (sad) state of the Mir client demo.
                  Why so glum and negative? When Wayland was in the same state, you described it as being "new and exciting, though just a proof-of-concept". Sure, there is a difference between stating something will be done within a year and saying something is a small proof-of-concept prototype. I don't think Canonical will be able to pull this off, just like they weren't able to use Wayland as the default display server for Ubuntu 12.10. But why shoot it down so early in the process?

... is written in C++, and utilizes Boost.
                  Yaaay! \o/

Comment

I could do a much better version of this demo within a couple of hours, on top of pure EGL/KMS without even requiring modified mesa drivers. I think I should start a new display server, too.

Comment

Originally posted by aavci View Post
                      I could do a much better version of this demo within a couple of hours, on top of pure EGL/KMS without even requiring modified mesa drivers. I think I should start a new display server, too.
                      Great! Do it, and get back to us with a link. Github the shit out of it. I'm looking forward to seeing your result in a couple of hours!

Comment

Working...
                      X