No announcement yet.

Upstream X/Wayland Developers Bash Canonical, Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The compositor hierarchy ends on the session level, and no tight integration into the system from boot time onward is available. For that reason, there is a visible glitch when transitioning the system from a VT-level to the graphical shell level.
    The motivation is obviously to have the Ubuntu logo rotating on a cube during boot. Go Ubuntu Go!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      MS shot itself in the foot with Win8 but the Linux community blew off all its arms and legs in the meantime.
      Well said... KDE4 and Gnome3 have been huge let downs compared to much stronger past releases.

Comment

And to add, this is a snippiet of a discussion that went down on the #Wayland IRC that was posted.
        Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
          Well said... KDE4 and Gnome3 have been huge let downs compared to much stronger past releases.
          naa, both is much better than they ever was before or any of the other competitors in the linux space is now..

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
            This is why I left Ubuntu and it's derivatives and am now pushing people i introduce to Linux to use alternative distrobutions. Ubuntu is going downhill pretty fast.
            (I do agree with your sentiment - gratuitous differences, not being a member of the community, NIH, CLA etc really are making Ubuntu undesirable.)

Out of curiosity what distributions do you push people to? As far as I can tell Ubuntu is the least worst along various dimensions such as freshness (new package versions but not too bleeding edge), not requiring assembly (arch, gentoo), support (instructions and packages almost always exist), release cycles (fedora seems to have issues) and ability for anyone from beginners to the experienced to get going.

Comment

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
              Out of curiosity what distributions do you push people to? As far as I can tell Ubuntu is the least worst along various dimensions such as freshness (new package versions but not too bleeding edge), not requiring assembly (arch, gentoo), support (instructions and packages almost always exist), release cycles (fedora seems to have issues) and ability for anyone from beginners to the experienced to get going.
              Fedora's "issues" are over-hyped and I would say that Fedora is just as capable as Ubuntu for use by beginners, although the idea of a six-month release distribution for beginners does still seem a bit odd to me. Plus with Ubuntu pulling shit like this it makes me want to suggest people join the sanity of the Red Hat camp especially. That said, I am on Arch now, but that is certainly not for beginners or the weak of heart.

Mageia and OpenSUSE look to be pretty good too, and might actually be better for new users.
              Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 04 March 2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                And to add, this is a snippiet of a discussion that went down on the #Wayland IRC that was posted.
                http://pastebin.com/KjRm3be1
                Thank you very much for this! Finally a discussion between Wayland and Mir devs.

Comment

sing

RedHat Guts Gnome and nobody cares
                  RedHat Guts X and nobody cares
                  RedHat Guts Linux and nobody cared

The masters gone away.

Mir may be good or it may go out in a blaze of glory.

Either way, people have been bitching about Ubuntu for years now but we've been quietly using it to bitch with.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                    RedHat Guts Gnome and nobody cares
                    RedHat Guts X and nobody cares
                    RedHat Guts Linux and nobody cared

The masters gone away.

Mir may be good or it may go out in a blaze of glory.

Either way, people have been bitching about Ubuntu for years now but we've been quietly using it to bitch with.
                    True. If Ubuntu goes completely down the toilet I'll probably end up going back to Windows or maybe moving over to OS X. There really is no compelling Linux desktop alternative for me at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                      Fedora's "issues" are over-hyped and I would say that Fedora is just as capable as Ubuntu for use by beginners ...
                      It has been a while since I tried Fedora, but the general vibes I get are very short support cycles and that if you have a problem and Google it you will be less likely to find an answer than if you had the same problem on Ubuntu. The equivalents to PPAs also seem less plentiful/popular. I also hated using Fedora as a developer because it was secure - things wouldn't work and I'd have to track error messages and magic incantations to let me do whatever I wanted. As for the others, my concern is things like installing Chrome, Virtualbox, Steam and similar software which all choose only a subset of Linux distros to mention and is an issue for new users.

But that is why I was asking Prescience500 what he recommends to see what his experience has been.

I keep trying Arch especially because it hasn't diverged like Ubuntu (eg uses systemd) and apparently provides means of installing Chrome etc, but always have installation problems and eventually lose patience.

Comment

Working...
                      X