Wayland's Weston Gets A FreeRDP-Based Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Now, you brought up the X backend. The X backend, unless im mistaken, is XWayland. XWayland is so that if you have an application that was specifically written for X (Not done in a modern version of GTK or Qt) that they can still run under Wayland. Wayland will spawn a special X server that is the exact size of their window. X thinks its in charge but when it goes to display the contents of the screen, its actually pushing them to a Wayland buffer and then Wayland handles where, when, and how to display the contents.
    I think what renox was trying to clarify is that the X11 backend in Weston (x11-backend.so) is not XWayland, it's the backend that allows Weston to run inside an X environment. So, if you run Weston inside a running X environment, you get a window that pop up with Weston running inside it. This weston communicates with the running X server and sends its buffer updates to X. This is useful for running Weston when your hardware doesn't support the DRM backend.

XWayland is not a backend per se, ie. you don't run Weston "on" this backend. Instead, as you say, this module listens for applications launched in Weston that try to connect to an X server, and if they do (if it's an old program written specifically for X), then Weston launches an X server, and takes the buffer that the application sends to this spawned X server and displays it as any other application running under Weston.

Looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/lvUbYIb.png

Here you have Google Chrome, gedit, gnome-control-center, gnome-font-viewer, smuxi, synaptic and gnome-terminal running as XWayland clients inside Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
      I think that we agree totally on how XWayland works, I was just pointing out that some of your sentences were a bit ambiguous, but maybe it's because I'm not a native English speaker..
      Lol okay then
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

RDP backend

Has anyone actually managed to connect to wayland/weston via RDP protocol? I've enabled rdp-backend and it seems to be working but when it starts running FreeRDP complains about Address being already in use and it segfaults having negotiated a connection to an external client. Also, when I run weston with rdp-backend enabled then desktop-shell does not seem to be launching at all.

I'm sorry but I am a newbie to wayland/weston devepment and may confuse a few terms.

Comment

Working...
        X