Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Begins Porting Process To FreeBSD

Phoronix: Wayland Begins Porting Process To FreeBSD

While upstream Wayland developers are just concerning themselves with Linux support and are exclusively focusing their development efforts on taking advantage of the best Linux APIs and functionality, a developer has begun proposing patches that begin to work on FreeBSD support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is something you fork. You try to keep projects targeting radically different OSes with some deep internal behavior that basically requires entire swathes of the architecture to be rewritten, and you already have two projects. But you end up sticking them in one git tree. Fast forward a few years and you have makefile hell and make me cry.

Comment

What a waste of a perfectly good display server and developer resources.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        This is something you fork. You try to keep projects targeting radically different OSes with some deep internal behavior that basically requires entire swathes of the architecture to be rewritten, and you already have two projects. But you end up sticking them in one git tree. Fast forward a few years and you have makefile hell and make me cry.
        This patch set is about Wayland, not Weston. Wayland is largely OS-independent, while Weston depends on KMS and other Linux stuff.

Comment

Yes Wayland do not require KMS.

Weston do. And if someone want to add another back end for it? NO PROBLEM. They just need to comit themselfs for support that back end in future.

And in fact that is very good. That mean few more pottential developers ("give more eyebals, bugs are shallow", etc.), and few potential upgrades to whole Weston.

Comment

Weston has gained fbdev backend. Does FreeBSD have support for fbdev? If so, they can make weston work on their systems. I tried an experimental build last night where Weston was built without Mesa at all. libdrm was needed - something in fbdev backend uses libdrm functions - not sure if that should be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
              Weston has gained fbdev backend. Does FreeBSD have support for fbdev? If so, they can make weston work on their systems. I tried an experimental build last night where Weston was built without Mesa at all. libdrm was needed - something in fbdev backend uses libdrm functions - not sure if that should be correct.
              Supposedly yes, though I haven't tried it myself since I don't currently have a FreeBSD installation
              Here's the link to the port: http://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev/

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                Supposedly yes, though I haven't tried it myself since I don't currently have a FreeBSD installation
                Here's the link to the port: http://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev/
                That's Xorg driver that uses kernel framebuffer drivers.

And if that drivers exists, so must /dev/fb0 exist.

I didn't notice it untill now, but the same guy who added fbdev backend to Weston has actually posted the FreeBSD patches.

Comment

Working...
                X