No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 13.04 Will Enable Wayland Support In GTK+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont really understand what is the point of this? I thought that wayland is an alternative to X11... so to be smaller and faster... so whats again the point or the way in using wayland between X and gtk? or is it a kind of shortcut for gtk... so X server is there does some input device handling or something? and then gtk displays directly through wayland on the kernel drivers?

Or is wayland a kind of shortcut for programms that are developed to use it? So will there be some apps that use it be faster at scrolling or some stuff... moving around or whatever... when they use wayland? and will then all X apps run through wayland and after that they get forwarded to x when they are not compatible? I mean if you dont use weston...

So do I think here right... you just install wayland... maybe set in a file a option like use-wayland= yes so that gtk knows it... and then you dont have to start anything else but some apps gets faster?

or maybe not faster but less resource-eating?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      I dont really understand what is the point of this? I thought that wayland is an alternative to X11... so to be smaller and faster...
      I would say that the point of wayland is that X is so crufty that it's miserable to maintain or develop. So wayland is a fresh start that's less miserable for the developers (same people working on X). I think this is the best explanation of the problem with X: http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2010/...the-X-protocol

so whats again the point or the way in using wayland between X and gtk? or is it a kind of shortcut for gtk... so X server is there does some input device handling or something? and then gtk displays directly through wayland on the kernel drivers?
      GTK can output directly to Wayland / Weston, with no X involved. It provides a simple path for applications to switch from X to Wayland, because they can stick with existing widget libraries.

The X server stuff is just there for backward compatibility. So you can easily run applications that have not yet been ported to run natively via the wayland protocol.

Also, you can run weston as an X client, for more convenient testing / development. (You can also run weston as a weston client.)

Comment

Originally posted by Darxus View Post
        I would say that the point of wayland is that X is so crufty that it's miserable to maintain or develop. So wayland is a fresh start that's less miserable for the developers (same people working on X). I think this is the best explanation of the problem with X: http://julien.danjou.info/blog/2010/...the-X-protocol

GTK can output directly to Wayland / Weston, with no X involved. It provides a simple path for applications to switch from X to Wayland, because they can stick with existing widget libraries.

The X server stuff is just there for backward compatibility. So you can easily run applications that have not yet been ported to run natively via the wayland protocol.

Also, you can run weston as an X client, for more convenient testing / development. (You can also run weston as a weston client.)
        so you need to "switch" to wayland to have a advantage from it... you cant just bypass a few of the gtk-apps to wayland... but if you then run weston or maybe a portet wayland-gnome ontop of wayland you can use X for some older applications that dont know about wayland... so its basicly a real switch you have to do... to have advantage more than testing?

Comment

so you need to "switch" to wayland to have a advantage from it... you cant just bypass a few of the gtk-apps to wayland... but if you then run weston or maybe a portet wayland-gnome ontop of wayland you can use X for some older applications that dont know about wayland... so its basicly a real switch you have to do... to have advantage more than testing?
          Yes. The plan was for desktop environments like KDE, Gnome Shell, Compiz, etc., to add wayland protocol support. So you could just switch from using X to using Wayland without any change in your user interface. But there doesn't seem to be much going on for that.

Comment

GTK+3 Wayland backend is as of today enabled in Ubuntu

Add --enable-wayland-backend to build flags. I believe this is all that's necessary for wayland to work with the existing Precise gtk packages. Wayland has one released version, 0.85, which is in the precise archives: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wayland/ I'm told gtk 3.4 is (and will remain) compatable with it. Since gtk 3.4 is apparently already packaged for Precise, all that remains to be able to use some gtk applications via wayland is this build flag.

Comment

Working...
            X