Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newwen
    replied
    Does the latest version of weston support multiple monitors? I heard that it would handle multiple monitors in a different way than Xorg's RandR
    Last edited by newwen; 09 January 2013, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Darxus
    replied
    Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    As a layman in the subject, I am curious as to how much of a "pure wayland" experience can we expect out fo 13.04. Is it going to be defaut for everyone with the required specs, or will some hacking be required in order to play with it?
    I expect that it will not be default for anyone. You would run weston (under X) or weston-launch (outside X), and then you could run applications under it. You would be limited to gtk applications which work - some of them don't. Because the X client backward compatibility will not be included (due to not being upstream), and I think the qt5 stuff will not be packaged. So, very limited usability.

Leave a comment:

• Figueiredo
    replied
    As a layman in the subject, I am curious as to how much of a "pure wayland" experience can we expect out of 13.04. Is it going to be defaut for everyone with the required specs, or will some hacking be required in order to play with it?

Maybe it's all up to X actually supporting wayland. I suspect that it the missing link righ now right? When that happens, wayland will be the defaut back-end, and when an app not yet ported to wayland is opend, an X server will be loaded for it in a transparent manner?
    Last edited by Figueiredo; 09 January 2013, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Darxus
    replied
    Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Then GTK should get some restructuring.
    Yes. Please fix it.

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Seriously backends not optionally choosable? That's one of the most basic things you need in a toolkit like GTK to be adaptable to it's platform.
    They're optional at build time. Just not at run time.

Leave a comment:

• plonoma
    replied
    Then GTK should get some restructuring.
    Seriously backends not optionally choosable? That's one of the most basic things you need in a toolkit like GTK to be adaptable to it's platform.

Leave a comment:

• Darxus
    replied
    Originally posted by stqn View Post
    Isn?t it possible for programs to have libwayland as an optional dependency? I mean surely when wayland is not in use then libwayland is useless?
    Yes. In response to the bug I opened requesting that gtk do that, it has been said that that would be prohibitively hard, due to the way gtk is structured: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=690381#c3

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Isn?t it possible for programs to have libwayland as an optional dependency? I mean surely when wayland is not in use then libwayland is useless?

Leave a comment:

• Darxus
    replied
    Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    Isn't the main problem that Wayland is now supported only by GTK+ and Intel drivers? And by informations from here there won't be any support in binary blobs any soon...
    Main problem with what? It also works with the radeon and nvidia (nouveau) open source drivers. Wayland / weston also works with X clients, but that capability still isn't upstream, so doesn't look like it will be in ubuntu any time soon.

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    And what does it mean actually. Those who have compatiple drivers will be able to run GTK+ apps on wayland itself on 13.04, unity maybe?
    Could be. Depending on how they deal with the libxkbcommon dependency that was just brought up in the relevant bug, and the incompatible wayland and weston versions in raring which uid313 mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Figueiredo
    replied
    Originally posted by Darxus View Post
    You're reading too much into this. We've been trying to get the wayland backend of the gtk package enabled for a while. It's just happening now because we finally figured out the way to make it happen.
    And what does it mean actually. Those who have compatiple drivers will be able to run GTK+ apps on wayland itself on 13.04, unity maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Redi44
    replied
    Redi

Isn't the main problem that Wayland is now supported only by GTK+ and Intel drivers? And by informations from here there won't be any support in binary blobs any soon...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X