X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ninez
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    They also have actually useful patches, that would also work with upstream goals, that they just haven't bothered to even submit.
    I didn't dispute that, i said in 'many cases', not Ubutnu doesn't produce a single good patch.

For example their kernel patches for async isapnp and async initrd extraction. Both have been shipping in Ubuntu for several years now, and have been submitted upstream exactly zero times that I know of. Especially the latter would be widely useful.
    I wonder why they have not bothered, then? (in this particular case). It's not like those are 'deal-makers/breakers' or offer Ubuntu some huge advantage (or even minor) over XYZ distro.

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    Ubuntu has incredible level of polish. Almost everything works out of the box and w/o bugs. Why the hell should end-user give a fuck about GNU/Linux crap? Come on.
    That's pretty funny, maybe you should go to launchpad and actually look at some of the bugs that affect ubuntu... without bugs? (YA RIGHT!). ...what was it, maybe a week ago - i posted a video showing 'the nvidia blank window bug' that was a regression in compiz (and thus unity) that bug has been around since 11.04 with no solution in sight... I wouldn't call windows appearing on the screen incorrectly, 'polished'. ~ but this is just one example (but a good one too, since Canonical is developing compiz / unity).

You also went on to say, that fedora would fail to boot (and for some reason you think Ubuntu doesn't have this issue?), yet google produces many many links when searching 'ubuntu 12.10 fails to boot', some issues have been fixed, others not.

from what i have observed, Ubuntu/Canonical is better at marketing than anything else. They aren't heavy contributors to many FOSS projects (which they rely on).

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    They also have actually useful patches, that would also work with upstream goals, that they just haven't bothered to even submit.

For example their kernel patches for async isapnp and async initrd extraction. Both have been shipping in Ubuntu for several years now, and have been submitted upstream exactly zero times that I know of. Especially the latter would be widely useful.
    Hmm, couldn't users submit those themselves? Or is it that only authors of the patches have the ability to do so?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by ninez View Post
    Ubutnu/Canonical 'prefer' there own forked code because (in many cases) there patches would most likely be rejected by their corresponding upstream (developers) anyway. Ubuntu's patches often aren't useful (from the developers perspective) and/or don't fit into the upstream project's goals.

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Please never write any documentation then. Because I don't want to go around fixing the crap other people "who don't give a crap" make.
    Do I give a fuck about that? No. You shouldn't as well.

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    But incredible level of polish? Everything works out of the box and w/o bugs?
    Not my experience at all.
    Certainly beats Fedora (which fails to BOOT under certain hardware) and openSUSE (with dysfunctional HP printer support).

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Well it's obviously a matter of personal taste.

But...

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    Ubuntu has incredible level of polish. Almost everything works out of the box and w/o bugs.
    Maybe they're aiming for this. Not accomplished yet!

It does some things very easy which helps new users, indeed. The installation process for instance.
    But incredible level of polish? Everything works out of the box and w/o bugs?
    Not my experience at all.

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Do not use Ubuntu!

They're trying to get the "GNU/Linux == Ubuntu" into the heads of our kids.
    And unfortunately they're doing this amazingly well marketing-wise.
    I know a bunch of people new to Ubuntu (and Linux) who don't know/see that Ubuntu is "just" another distribution.
    That will get worse since Valve has chosen Ubuntu as the tier-one distribution. :/
    Ubuntu has incredible level of polish. Almost everything works out of the box and w/o bugs. Why the hell should end-user give a fuck about GNU/Linux crap? Come on.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Do not use Ubuntu!

They're trying to get the "GNU/Linux == Ubuntu" into the heads of our kids.
    And unfortunately they're doing this amazingly well marketing-wise.
    I know a bunch of people new to Ubuntu (and Linux) who don't know/see that Ubuntu is "just" another distribution.
    That will get worse since Valve has chosen Ubuntu as the tier-one distribution. :/
    Last edited by entropy; 18 December 2012, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Except people are talking about Ubuntu here? Sure, due to the way Gentoo works it's not a problem, but it is a problem for distributions that ship binaries...
    Gentoo users have other problems like half-assed builds and failing system components. If wayland support in GTK+ is the only problem of Ubuntu then I'm very happy for us Kubuntu users.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by jannis View Post
    The main point of the discussion is solved by Gentoo having USE-flags that let the USER decide which optional features to build or not. And yes, gtk+:3 has a wayland USE-flag.
    Except people are talking about Ubuntu here? Sure, due to the way Gentoo works it's not a problem, but it is a problem for distributions that ship binaries...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X