Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    They wouldn't be much if all it did was require the packages be installed. But requiring the wayland libraries and their dependencies be loaded into memory, even though nothing in Ubuntu is likely to be using them any time in the next year or two? I think that's a reasonable blocker... no good reason to proceed with shipping Wayland-enabled Gtk+ until the Gtk+ backends can be isolated more effectively.
    Effective? Common. Writing the software updates, sources and the software center and other apps in Python is effective? It's like eating 5 pizzas at once and drinking diet coke.
    Last edited by mark45; 18 December 2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

The main point of the discussion is solved by Gentoo having USE-flags that let the USER decide which optional features to build or not. And yes, gtk+:3 has a wayland USE-flag.

Comment

Originally posted by jannis View Post
        The main point of the discussion is solved by Gentoo having USE-flags that let the USER decide which optional features to build or not. And yes, gtk+:3 has a wayland USE-flag.
        Except people are talking about Ubuntu here? Sure, due to the way Gentoo works it's not a problem, but it is a problem for distributions that ship binaries...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Except people are talking about Ubuntu here? Sure, due to the way Gentoo works it's not a problem, but it is a problem for distributions that ship binaries...
          Gentoo users have other problems like half-assed builds and failing system components. If wayland support in GTK+ is the only problem of Ubuntu then I'm very happy for us Kubuntu users.

Comment

Do not use Ubuntu!

They're trying to get the "GNU/Linux == Ubuntu" into the heads of our kids.
            And unfortunately they're doing this amazingly well marketing-wise.
            I know a bunch of people new to Ubuntu (and Linux) who don't know/see that Ubuntu is "just" another distribution.
            That will get worse since Valve has chosen Ubuntu as the tier-one distribution. :/
            Last edited by entropy; 18 December 2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Do not use Ubuntu!

They're trying to get the "GNU/Linux == Ubuntu" into the heads of our kids.
              And unfortunately they're doing this amazingly well marketing-wise.
              I know a bunch of people new to Ubuntu (and Linux) who don't know/see that Ubuntu is "just" another distribution.
              That will get worse since Valve has chosen Ubuntu as the tier-one distribution. :/
              Ubuntu has incredible level of polish. Almost everything works out of the box and w/o bugs. Why the hell should end-user give a fuck about GNU/Linux crap? Come on.

Comment

Well it's obviously a matter of personal taste.

But...

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                Ubuntu has incredible level of polish. Almost everything works out of the box and w/o bugs.
                Maybe they're aiming for this. Not accomplished yet!

It does some things very easy which helps new users, indeed. The installation process for instance.
                But incredible level of polish? Everything works out of the box and w/o bugs?
                Not my experience at all.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  But incredible level of polish? Everything works out of the box and w/o bugs?
                  Not my experience at all.
                  Certainly beats Fedora (which fails to BOOT under certain hardware) and openSUSE (with dysfunctional HP printer support).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    Please never write any documentation then. Because I don't want to go around fixing the crap other people "who don't give a crap" make.
                    Do I give a fuck about that? No. You shouldn't as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                      Ubutnu/Canonical 'prefer' there own forked code because (in many cases) there patches would most likely be rejected by their corresponding upstream (developers) anyway. Ubuntu's patches often aren't useful (from the developers perspective) and/or don't fit into the upstream project's goals.
                      They also have actually useful patches, that would also work with upstream goals, that they just haven't bothered to even submit.

For example their kernel patches for async isapnp and async initrd extraction. Both have been shipping in Ubuntu for several years now, and have been submitted upstream exactly zero times that I know of. Especially the latter would be widely useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X