X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigaldo
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    honestly i don't care. the gui on linux is so messed up, it would be like painting a broken car. wayland is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. it is trying to make desktop linux to function properly. this is pointless because the average consumer needs office, itunes, photoshop, blueray, netflix. they are gonna start using linux because stallman lectures them about their freedom. on the server side, you don't even need graphical acceleration. you might as well be running a vesa driver. power users shy from linux too- lacks on apps, sucky multi-monitor support, regressions all over the place, bad power management on laptops.
    Well the guys working on Wayland would make neither an office suite, itunes or anything, even if they weren't working on Wayland.
    (At least for office, Wine can take care of that.)
    The average consumer totally needs photoshop and other pro tools, I mean they buy them by the thousands!

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied
    Hear Hear! Wayland is here!
    wayland is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving.
    Yes it does : when every single desktop has to run a piece of software that isn't used for anything (read X), I'd consider this a problem. Sure it works now, but at what cost (have you ever counted the context switches needed just to move a window?).
    Wayland is about modernizing the linux desktop. X was awesome in its time, still is seeing what we do to it today, even though it only acts as a proxy, only transferring messages between users.

and the Nvidia propietary drivers? (for example). is compatible with wayland?
    AFAIK that isn't wayland's problem...

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    honestly i don't care. the gui on linux is so messed up, it would be like painting a broken car. wayland is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. it is trying to make desktop linux to function properly. this is pointless because the average consumer needs office, itunes, photoshop, blueray, netflix. they are gonna start using linux because stallman lectures them about their freedom. on the server side, you don't even need graphical acceleration. you might as well be running a vesa driver. power users shy from linux too- lacks on apps, sucky multi-monitor support, regressions all over the place, bad power management on laptops.
    Then fix it already please.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
    Of course not, the protocol just became stable TODAY. GTK, EFL, QT, and KDE can all work on Wayland support because of the "scratch your own itch" nature of OSS. Nvidia and AMD arent going to spend money on developers to make their drivers Wayland compatible when they may have to turn around and redo all of it the next day.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
    Not trying to troll and I welcome new solutions but as it stands Wayland doesn't look like its at a v1.0 state yet.
    the versioning is completely irrelevant. apt is still 0.x, even though it would be considered extremely mature.

Leave a comment:

• sl1pkn07
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmcharron
    replied
    Not trying to troll and I welcome new solutions but as it stands Wayland doesn't look like its at a v1.0 state yet.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Yeah you think I'm trolling
    Yes. Yes we do.

Leave a comment:

• Rigaldo
    replied
    Yeah you think I'm trolling but let's wait two Ubuntu versions until they make Wayland mandatory and get rid of Xorg. Everybody will be crying in pain when nothing will work any longer mark my words.
    Like they made Unit... Oh wait, you can still remove it. "Crying in pain" .. xD lol
    Plus, what will we do without the tearing? They'll remove that feature too from Linux. Among many other things. :|

Ubuntu is well known for using stuff that isn't anywhere near stable, or usable, or anything remotely decent.
    Wait, isn't that Arch and Fedora? I am missing things lately, and I wanted to reinstall Arch to try all the new/unstable/unusable things more easily .. Better stay on Ubuntu you say?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X