No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.0 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honestly i don't care. the gui on linux is so messed up, it would be like painting a broken car. wayland is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. it is trying to make desktop linux to function properly. this is pointless because the average consumer needs office, itunes, photoshop, blueray, netflix. they are gonna start using linux because stallman lectures them about their freedom. on the server side, you don't even need graphical acceleration. you might as well be running a vesa driver. power users shy from linux too- lacks on apps, sucky multi-monitor support, regressions all over the place, bad power management on laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      honestly i don't care. the gui on linux is so messed up, it would be like painting a broken car. wayland is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. it is trying to make desktop linux to function properly. this is pointless because the average consumer needs office, itunes, photoshop, blueray, netflix. they are gonna start using linux because stallman lectures them about their freedom. on the server side, you don't even need graphical acceleration. you might as well be running a vesa driver. power users shy from linux too- lacks on apps, sucky multi-monitor support, regressions all over the place, bad power management on laptops.
      Then fix it already please.

Comment

Hear Hear! Wayland is here!
        wayland is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving.
        Yes it does : when every single desktop has to run a piece of software that isn't used for anything (read X), I'd consider this a problem. Sure it works now, but at what cost (have you ever counted the context switches needed just to move a window?).
        Wayland is about modernizing the linux desktop. X was awesome in its time, still is seeing what we do to it today, even though it only acts as a proxy, only transferring messages between users.

and the Nvidia propietary drivers? (for example). is compatible with wayland?
        AFAIK that isn't wayland's problem...

Comment

Well the guys working on Wayland would make neither an office suite, itunes or anything, even if they weren't working on Wayland.
          (At least for office, Wine can take care of that.)
          The average consumer totally needs photoshop and other pro tools, I mean they buy them by the thousands!

Comment

I never used itunes, photoshop or netflix How about Gummi, Sagemath, Geany, Eclipse, Mencoder/Mplayer etc.?

Comment

Hooray and props to kristian and all the other devs.

Comment

Ok, I understand that some people have the vision "something doesn't work = everything sucks", but this is just exaggerated, and the lack of those applications isn't linux's fault, or do you really think that some day MS will release office for linux? (gnu/linux, not android obviusly, i mean a linux flavour that you have to install yourself).

Said this, i hope that Wayland will be ready as soon as possible.

Comment

Kristian H?gsberg after developing the project the past four years officially announced version 1.0 for Wayland.
                  Pfft. That's just way too long...
                  Oh well. Just goes to show how bad plumbing is in comparison with plan9.

Comment

honestly i don't care. the gui on linux is so messed up, it would be like painting a broken car.
                    Of course you care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't comment on a Linux-focused site.
                    You don't see me visiting any Windows-focused sites.

Comment

by i don't care I mean I am not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                      X