Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

Patches have emerged today that provide support for workspaces with Wayland's Weston compositor and default shell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, these are enhancements to Weston's workspace support. Weston had multiple workspace supports for months
    But it was sort of hidden because the configuration option for the number of workspaces in the .ini file was kind of hidden as well as the key commands.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

Patches have emerged today that provide support for workspaces with Wayland's Weston compositor and default shell...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MTM
      Yay! As we move to the next gen display server we drag along outdated designs that compensate for window manager deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Yay! As we move to the next gen display server we drag along outdated designs that compensate for window manager deficiencies.
        What in your opinion is or would be a modern approach to this issue.

Comment

What features would you like to see in Weston?

What features would you like to see in Weston?

I would like to see WinKey/MetaKey+NumPad[0-9] for grid layout window positioning.

Meta+NumPad4 = Move window to the left
          Meta+NumPad6 = Move window to the right
          Meta+NumPad3 = Move window to the bottom-right corner

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            What in your opinion is or would be a modern approach to this issue.
            Firefox's Panorama. Expose it via the Gnome Shell overview (or equivalent), lasso apps you want to group, and then name the groups. Everythings visible from the one screen without trying to remember which desktop has what app group (and realize plenty of people have their set desktops and keybindings so this isn't a problem for them).
            Implementation is similar to virtual desktops but is exposed completely differently.

Comment

Firefox's Panorama. Expose it via the Gnome Shell overview (or equivalent), lasso apps you want to group, and then name the groups. Everythings visible from the one screen without trying to remember which desktop has what app group (and realize plenty of people have their set desktops and keybindings so this isn't a problem for them).
              Implementation is similar to virtual desktops but is exposed completely differently.
              Your approach has a fault that i find really annoying and its the fact that it involves more clicks/moves from doing something simple. And this is fundamentally wrong IMO. The user must perform the tast he wants as fast as possible and with minimum effort. In gnome 2 for example you could switch workplace with a single click.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Your approach has a fault that i find really annoying and its the fact that it involves more clicks/moves from doing something simple. And this is fundamentally wrong IMO. The user must perform the tast he wants as fast as possible and with minimum effort. In gnome 2 for example you could switch workplace with a single click.

I'm not sure what task takes longer. Could you be more specific?
                That aside, the advantage this possesses is visual simplicity and intuitiveness. In principle it shouldn't change things for long time users of workspaces except that the grouping can be made to happen automatically (basically on login resume previous activity groups, no scripts required). You should still be able to create keybindings to the various groups (but that may be tricky since they are dynamic, still that should be a goal since users do that and it is efficient). The only thing that I don't see happening is moving windows from workspace to workspace with only the keyboard. However that doesn't seem like a hardship since that is a pretty infrequent task. If it isn't, and you're doing it wrong

Comment

The only thing that I don't see happening is moving windows from workspace to workspace with only the keyboard. However that doesn't seem like a hardship since that is a pretty infrequent task. If it isn't, and you're doing it wrong
                  I do it from time to time in Gnome 3. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+{Up,Down}

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                    I do it from time to time in Gnome 3. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+{Up,Down}
                    Exactly. People do it but not often enough that it seems worth including it in the design.

Comment

Working...
                    X