Workspace Support for Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    Exactly. People do it but not often enough that it seems worth including it in the design.
    That's Gnome mentality, that's costing them yet again a lot of users. Hey let's remove options only 20% of our users use!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      That's Gnome mentality, that's costing them yet again a lot of users. Hey let's remove options only 20% of our users use!
      That's the kind of decisions that a DE has to make. If the goal is be solid, and usable then you need a manageable code base. You can't have that and support every possible option. What you can do is listen to users and provide for their immediate needs while working towards something better. If gnome had the manpower I would've suggested that, but they didn't and don't. Gnome 2 had too much badness that was holding it back. Unfortunately this is still the case hence why the next big break will completely integrate Clutter (amongst other things).
      Regardless, I only said this in regards to this one option. You shouldnt need to constantly move windows around. The window manager should handle that for you. If it doesnt then either the WM should be fixed or you may have a unique workflow which should be investigated. The devs should be flexible, but I think we should also expect the users to be so as well. All too often I see peoppe complaining about software they know nothing about (ie., havent tried it or given it a true effort). Ive also seen users and devs with legitimate complaints get nowhere b/c of developer obstinence.

Comment

Exactly. People do it but not often enough that it seems worth including it in the design.
        Gnome3: I do that all the time and changed it to meta+shift+[up|down|0-9] to move the windows around between workspaces. Would be nice to kick a window onto the external monitor using the keyboard and park it there.
        Proper tiling support would be even better, so I don't have to bother any more.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
          Gnome3: I do that all the time and changed it to meta+shift+[up|down|0-9] to move the windows around between workspaces. Would be nice to kick a window onto the external monitor using the keyboard and park it there.
          Proper tiling support would be even better, so I don't have to bother any more.
          Theres an extension that lets you tile windows. The keybindings are based off of bluetile, iirc.
          BTW, why do you need to constantly move windows to different workspaces?

Comment

Theres an extension that lets you tile windows. The keybindings are based off of bluetile, iirc.
            BTW, why do you need to constantly move windows to different workspaces?
            Not constantly, usually I first move to the workspace and then start the application which nicely maximizes. But just normal stuff you do on a desktop...

For example the laptop screen is awful to read text on 1920x1080, I tend to use 1440x900 instead and its still small.
            LVDS -> 1. workspace always a shell maximized, 2. workspace optional
            DVI -> is fixed, no workspaces, where I usually read, like webbrowser, irc, textbooks etc. or park windows to compare the text with stuff on the laptop

Now if I open for example gummi on the 2. workspace LVDS and a textbook on the external monitor to read. Then I want to put up a video and start totem, move it to workspace 3 on the LVDS.
            Better example (I played around with DDO), start 'wine pylotro.exe' in the shell on workspace 1 to see the error output, move the wine application onto workspace 3 or something.
            Or if you open a file (e.g. with document viewer) in the file manager and then move the application onto another workspace (or the external monitor)

What I need the mouse for is moving windows onto the external monitor unfortunately.

p.s. I know of the extension but this is useless, if you still have to klick stuff to get the windows sorted. I mean more like awesome, xmonad etc.

Comment

Working...
            X