Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston 0.95 Land In Ubuntu 12.10

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston 0.95 Land In Ubuntu 12.10

Wayland and the reference Weston compositor have been updated against the upstream version 0.95 release for the packages to be found in the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.10 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Oh God the end is nigh. No they're not forcing it down our throats, noooo, I was wrong see? That's why even if not useful they're still putting it in the distro. Because they're not forcing anything upon us. Probably when it'll hit 1.0 they'll remove x completely and force all of us to become wayland's bitches.
    I haven't seen anyone stopping you from creating a distro from scratch that will use all the good old trouble free "techs" X sysVinit pure alsa. etc

Comment

Aaaand... crash during startup, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1029223

As usual nobody tests weston builds even for simple running. Way to go, wayland!

Comment

Oh God the end is nigh. No they're not forcing it down our throats, noooo, I was wrong see? That's why even if not useful they're still putting it in the distro. Because they're not forcing anything upon us. Probably when it'll hit 1.0 they'll remove x completely and force all of us to become wayland's bitches.
        Its not installed by default, by your logic they are also forcing you to play open arena. Not to mention X witch is actually the default.

Comment

Yet. It's not default yet. Just you wait
          I seriously don't see your problem: What do you have against choice in the repositories?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            I haven't seen anyone stopping you from creating a distro from scratch that will use all the good old trouble free "techs" X sysVinit pure alsa. etc

No need to create it....there is already one...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              I seriously don't see your problem: What do you have against choice in the repositories?

The problem is that there is NO choice at all.

YEAH, you read it right !

These things start always in the same way....ALWAYS....1st you have a choice to use it or not then it's imposed on you and will be a nightmare to try to get rid of it if not impossible....and UBUNTU is one of the "best" distro examples of precisely that.

Comment

The peanut gallery was advised to shut up because besides angry rants and FUD it doesn't produce anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  These things start always in the same way....ALWAYS....1st you have a choice to use it or not then it's imposed on you and will be a nightmare to try to get rid of it if not impossible....and UBUNTU is one of the "best" distro examples of precisely that.
                  Well currently there's no choise in Linux desktop when it comes to display servers and many applications are hardcoded to use X.org. Now thanks to Wayland that is about to change. For example both Qt 5 and GTK+ 3 support changing the backeds on runtime. This also means that in the future it will be easier to add support for more platforms if needed. If I'm not mistaken only few applications have to add any Wayland specific code so it will not lock up applications to itself. Of course the toolkits will probably drop their X.org backends at somepoint in the future but it will take years. I fail to see how getting rid of X.org in a long term can be seen as anything but a good thing.

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  No need to create it....there is already one...
                  Damn I wish people would stop trolling every forum with their anti-progress bullshit and just move to Slackware. One can only hope...

Comment

Applications don't run just because the ports are not complete yet, they will not ship crippled applications. The first use for Wayland will be with XWayland, you'll have your Xorg desktop unaltered until there isn't a viable alternative.

p.s. Please, use Slackware if you don't like changes, I haven't never read of doctors recommending Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X