Merging LightDM Log-In Manager For KDE Workspaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
    Anything that doesn't support multi-seat is a toy for those who need multi-seat support.
    There is a problem when you keep removing important functionality, the GNOME team found that out the hard way.

LightDM seems to offer a smaller codebase and prettier theming, and in return you lose many of KDM's features which are used in different combinations by different people. As long as it stays like this, it should remain only an alternative for those who want to make that trade-off, and not the default.

Multi-seat is the best Linux feature I've ever seen, btw, and I cannot imagine computing without it.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      thank you, but times of bulky one-purpose devices are passing, hopefully. i rather prefer, that software would enable me to define my own usage patterns.

that, on the other hand, is out of scope of "display manager" which is just DE initializer. it has no business tampering with a bootloader, directly anyway.
      last-entry-by-default should be a built-in feature of bootloader's menu and everything should be selected there. but that's ok.
      Oh, but without that, it would be a "bulky one-purpose" display manager There is nothing wrong with simple, small programs that don't have a whole lot of features, as long as they are extendible. GNU/Linux is made from a lot of small, one-purpose programs, after all, but together they achieve a whole lot.

Comment

It is the default for Kubuntu 12.10. It suits my needs, but has an annoying trait. When you highlight the wanted user, you HAVE to click the password entry field to type the password. Not a big deal, but annoying. The Ubuntu lightdm greeter automatically focuses on the password entry field.

Comment

Originally posted by 67GTA View Post
          It is the default for Kubuntu 12.10. It suits my needs, but has an annoying trait. When you highlight the wanted user, you HAVE to click the password entry field to type the password. Not a big deal, but annoying. The Ubuntu lightdm greeter automatically focuses on the password entry field.
          Tab is a bit better but I agree:

Arrow keys for choosing the user and characters for typing the password could be implemented without the need for a change of keyboard focus.

Comment

I was wrong about my focus complaint as shown here: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...rd-field-focus The password entry field is automatically focused on the last used account. All you have to do is start typing. I just assumed since there was no blinking cursor, that it wasn't focused.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Oh, but without that, it would be a "bulky one-purpose" display manager There is nothing wrong with simple, small programs that don't have a whole lot of features, as long as they are extendible. GNU/Linux is made from a lot of small, one-purpose programs, after all, but together they achieve a whole lot.
              and that is exactly why KDM should not fuck around with a bootloader and should start serving its purpose better or be replaced with something like this LightDM thing

Comment

Working...
              X