Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging LightDM Log-In Manager For KDE Workspaces

Phoronix: Merging LightDM Log-In Manager For KDE Workspaces

The developer behind LightDM-KDE has called for merging the log-in manager into KDE Workspaces. KDM, however, will remain the default but it will become optional with LightDM-KDE being a build-time alternative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by TFA
    Features though where KDM still comes in front is support for switching X sessions, being able to handling connections to remote XDMCP sessions...
    I use LightDM and have no problem with user switching. Also, from the comments in my configuration file, XDMCP seems to be supported, as well as built in VNC capabilities.

Are these not available in this KDE (branch? fork?).

Comment

good

KDM was looking like shit for a while now.
      for something that glamorous and heavy, it's too damn featureless and requires too much of manual config tinkering to tweak.

Comment

I gave LightDM a chance with KDE 4.9. Pointless, I didn't even find the option to login from command line. Didn't seem to remember last user's name either.

Comment

Anything that doesn't support multi-seat is a toy.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Anything that doesn't support multi-seat is a toy for those who need multi-seat support.

Comment

That's interesting. KDM doesn't appear to support booting into different GRUB2 entries, however, and with less and less distributions using the legacy GRUB, it's not much of a feature any more.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I gave LightDM a chance with KDE 4.9. Pointless, I didn't even find the option to login from command line. Didn't seem to remember last user's name either.
                everything has an option to login in console: it's CTRL+ALT+Fx.
                but, yeah, instead of (or, better, in addition) remembering last name, i would rather prefer a list of all users from some particular ('users') group on screen.
                because, in GUI i don't want to type, unless it absolutely necessary, otherwise, it will be more cluttered than console and, therefore, useless.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                very true.

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
                Anything that doesn't support multi-seat is a toy for those who need multi-seat support.
                and if everything would come down to the lowest common denominator, than everything will be useless shit outside of some specific usage pattern of unsophisticated user.
                thank you, but times of bulky one-purpose devices are passing, hopefully. i rather prefer, that software would enable me to define my own usage patterns.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                That's interesting. KDM doesn't appear to support booting into different GRUB2 entries, however, and with less and less distributions using the legacy GRUB, it's not much of a feature any more.
                that, on the other hand, is out of scope of "display manager" which is just DE initializer. it has no business tampering with a bootloader, directly anyway.
                last-entry-by-default should be a built-in feature of bootloader's menu and everything should be selected there. but that's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                  but, yeah, instead of (or, better, in addition) remembering last name, i would rather prefer a list of all users from some particular ('users') group on screen.
                  because, in GUI i don't want to type, unless it absolutely necessary, otherwise, it will be more cluttered than console and, therefore, useless.
                  You mean, like the alternative login screen?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Your comment makes no sense. Considering that LightDM-KDE has yet to merge with KDE Workspaces, there was no ?LightDM with KDE [Workspaces] 4.9? release. The current LightDM-KDE release is 0.3.0 and that one remembers the last user.
                    Keep in mind that currently LightDM-KDE is in early stages of development. Of course features are missing. If nothing was missing, LightDM-KDE could fully replace KDM right now but it is only requested to be an alternative next to KDM.

I have LightDM-KDE 0.3 running on openSUSE. There is currently a weird bug that seems to only affect openSUSE: The LightDM-KDE settings module (kcm_lightdm) crashes when launched from GUI but not from Konsole: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=303576
                    Nobody currently knows what's causing this but aside from the bug in the KCM, the display manager itself so far runs fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X