X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ownagefool
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    You don't? Here's a few other things you don't have: http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    Congrats on OpenGL3.0 however, welcome to 2008.
    And I didn't even mention performance yet.
    You realise the majority of things in that link are "done" and it also includes a few things the binary drivers can't do, don't you?

Sure, the drivers aint finished yet, but you're hardly making a solid case against them.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    You don't? Here's a few other things you don't have: http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    You need moer than OpenGL 3? Really? What do you use?

You can't name 3 programs for Linux that require anything more than GL3. So it's a very pointless "feature". OpenCL and dynpm are much more important.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    No, I have "2D acceleration, some OpenGL support (3.0 to be exact) and powersaving" right now, and it works on most cards. This is what you said.

Actually, it's more likely to work than Nvidia's blob, after the optimus fiasco.
    And I didn't even mention performance yet.

Leave a comment:

• China_Guy
    replied
    fortunately, I ONLY use PC of "Intel inside" exclusively,I own a Intel ivb now without any discrete GPU! I'm very satisfied!I'm looking for default Intel driver for Wayland!!!

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by tstrunk View Post
    Believe me, I've tried them, at least the ones from AMD.

=> The open source drivers gave me a flicker-free experience unlike the blobs. I could watch movies on my dual screen setup, compositing on completely without tearing.
    Also they worked out of the box, also they work for most office workloads without any administration required.

They might be useless for you, maybe they are also still inadequate for gaming in general, but they are far from useless for many other users. And one more thing: They will be the ONLY choice for many old generation cards to come.
    Seriously... you can get flicker free from AMD proprietary. I use both depending on the machine and it's purpose. I don't understand why people get such a pantie twist over this. Simple don't like it, don't use it.

Tips for flicker free on AMD hardware using catalyst-
    CC forced vsync- the OS driver forces Vsync by default
    Use a player that supports (OpenGL|GPU) accelerated playback as this takes load off the CPU to smooth things out with Vsync enabled.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Excuse me? How you figure?

Take your favorite distro's install disk, put in disk tray, follow instructions to install.
    Done.

How can anything be any easier than that? Particularly the following;

Take your favorite distro's install disk, put in disk tray, follow instructions to install, download blob driver, mess with terminal for an hour, have it complain that its not compatible, research on internet forums for 3 days, figure out how to hack the installer to actually install, install, find that its incompatible with your current kernel or xorg, download old kernel, compile and install it the hard way, try to boot.... fail. Research on internet forums for 3 weeks, find all incompatibilities with old kernel, build and install old versions of those, finally it boots, reinstall blob driver, now finally it works, but poorly, and crashes frequently.
    I use ARCH and Catalyst isn't officially supported but I am using the latest xorg and kernel with it (got to love AUR) and I have only experienced a crash playing Skyrim and it was while switching desktops shortly before a loadpoint (seemed to cunfuse where to render to). Crash only happened in FS... Please stop the FUD yeah, don't just make crap up.

Not to mention Ubuntu like distros usually aren't using the current releases anyhow.
    Last edited by nightmarex; 21 August 2012, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ownagefool
    replied
    They're not perfect, but they're not crap.

I've pulled from wheezy, I could probably get a better experience pulling from git master, and enabling certian options, but meh.

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CYPRESS
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Desktop wise: desktop is flawless, better than blobs.
    Gaming wise: no problem playing any games I've tried. occasional slow downs, but generally > 100 FPS. Good enough for casual use, I might consider the blob vs up-to-date mesa when steam lands though.
    Power management: its a desktop, so less of a concern. obviously could be better, hoping that the pm stuff bridgeman was talking about solves the problems for everyone.
    Video decode: meh. vdpau is the winner here i guess. more chance of getting this on the open drivers than the binary though.

Basically as my title says, you're being overly harsh if you're saying they're worthless. The open drivers are coming along nicely, and I feel we're PM and Decode away for being superior to the blobs for 99% of people. Honestly, by the time wayland hits mainstream, I doubt the blob will be relevant anymore. I'm a hardcore gamer, but I don't use linux to game because of anticheats / lack of will to make wine work on debian. I'll follow this up with actual numbers when L4D lands.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Really? You have OpenGL 4 support and power management that works for all cards? In this case, I stand corrected.
    No, I have "2D acceleration, some OpenGL support (3.0 to be exact) and powersaving" right now, and it works on most cards. This is what you said.

Actually, it's more likely to work than Nvidia's blob, after the optimus fiasco.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    First of all, they are "proper" drivers.

And there's nothing false about them catching up with the blobs (intel excluded), but you actually stated that "we'll get 2D acceleration, some OpenGL support and basic power saving that will sometimes work on 6 years old card by 2020.", and that's trollish nonsense. I have all these things right now. In fact, I had them years ago.

If you're happy with the blob, use it, but do leave us the option of using an open driver, and stop pissing at the work of Mesa and kernel coders.
    Really? You have OpenGL 4 support and power management that works for all cards? In this case, I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    What's so false about open source drivers still playing catch up with proper drivers?
    First of all, they are "proper" drivers.

And there's nothing false about them catching up with the blobs (intel excluded), but you actually stated that "we'll get 2D acceleration, some OpenGL support and basic power saving that will sometimes work on 6 years old card by 2020.", and that's trollish nonsense. I have all these things right now. In fact, I had them years ago.

If you're happy with the blob, use it, but do leave us the option of using an open driver, and stop pissing at the work of Mesa and kernel coders.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    I give you 2/10 for trolling quality. You need to be more subtle and avoid claims which are clearly false, then you'll be more effective!
    What's so false about open source drivers still playing catch up with proper drivers?
    All I'm saying is the binary drivers give you most features and atm open drivers are wannabes (intel excluded). Fanatics keep telling me blobs should die a fiery death or something. Fanatics always think the world is just an obstacle in the path to their happiness, you know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X