AMD Catalyst Will Not Support Wayland Anytime Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Ah, the sour grapes argument. Now you're making sense.
    I don't follow. I can run every single program I need to run using open drivers and performance is acceptable, if not stellar.

You posted a bunch of claims that you can't support with any facts to support your position that open drivers are worthless.

Yes, dynpm and OpenCL could use some work (but they're moving along nicely), as could performance, but the drivers are not only fine for everyday use, I find them better than the blob in terms of important aspects like stability and maintainability. So no sour grapes here, I'm not the one making outrageous claims against a driver I don't even use.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      I don't follow. I can run every single program I need to run using open drivers and performance is acceptable, if not stellar.

You posted a bunch of claims that you can't support with any facts to support your position that open drivers are worthless.

Yes, dynpm and OpenCL could use some work (but they're moving along nicely), as could performance, but the drivers are not only fine for everyday use, I find them better than the blob in terms of important aspects like stability and maintainability. So no sour grapes here, I'm not the one making outrageous claims against a driver I don't even use.
      I only posted one claim: blobs offer more features than open drivers (and I believe the link I posted is proof enough of that). I never said open drivers are worthless, just they are forever locked in a game of catch up. My only gripe is people continuously repeating "blobs should die".

PS: I said you don't get OpenGL4, you said you don't need that anyway - that's sour grapes.

Comment

All you guys keep forgetting the lack of decent anti aliasing with the open source drivers. I mean, it has been around forever now and the only thing we have is primitive compared to the closed source drivers. Although, it wouldn't matter much anyway since it would make games completely unplayable slow (not that they aren't already.)

Comment

I only posted one claim: blobs offer more features than open drivers (and I believe the link I posted is proof enough of that). I never said open drivers are worthless, just they are forever locked in a game of catch up. My only gripe is people continuously repeating "blobs should die".

PS: I said you don't get OpenGL4, you said you don't need that anyway - that's sour grapes.
          No, it would be sour grapes if there were actually an app under Linux which used OpenGL in any way. The only thing I can think of are the Unigine tech demos, and I seriously don't need that.

There is simply nothing that needs OpenGL4 on Linux. It's different with OpenCL and powersaving, which are real needs and should hopefully be resolved soon.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            All you guys keep forgetting the lack of decent anti aliasing with the open source drivers. I mean, it has been around forever now and the only thing we have is primitive compared to the closed source drivers. Although, it wouldn't matter much anyway since it would make games completely unplayable slow (not that they aren't already.)

Next one?

Comment

My only gripe is people continuously repeating "blobs should die".
              Blobs 'should' die, though as a result of competing OSS drivers' improvements in stability and features. Not as a result of hooligans carrying pitchforks and torches shouting "Snug Snug!".

Mmmmm... Snug Snug.

F

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                You did see how I said primitive, right? MSAA just really isn't very good compared to the newer AA methods available.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                  You did see how I said primitive, right? MSAA just really isn't very good compared to the newer AA methods available.
                  ? We have MLAA, a better one than in AMD's blob in fact.

Nvidia's ones, FXAA and TXAA, could be added to Mesa if someone was interested.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    There's really no reason for the exchange of words that is taking place. We're all happy that FGLRX works for some people. We're all happy that DRI/MESA works for others. The place we want to be is where everyone is happy with DRI/MESA regardless of whatever state FGLRX happens to be in.

If you are going to run Linux, try the FOSS drivers. If you find that they are not to your liking, for any reason, describe your issue in a bug report and fall back on FGLRX. Retry the FOSS drivers whenever your distro's release cycle ends, or when you receive confirmation that your issue has been resolved.
                    This needs to be framed in gold and pinned somewhere in this forum!

Comment

who the fuck cares? really? It will take years until wayland is ready for the masses - and I still don't understand what is so great about it.

So if it is years away and doesn't even have an api yet, why should nvidia or amd waste precious (and expensive) ressources on it, as long as their is X11 stuff to be done?

Comment

Working...
                      X