AMD Catalyst Will Not Support Wayland Anytime Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's astonishing that anybody would actually use a blob these days!
    There is a big percentage of people that want max performance out of their system. And they buy nVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      As long as they fix a few issues with their Open driver (PM primarely and video decoding/encoding) i won't care if they never do TBH.
      its not 'their open driver' its 'our open driver' ...... so if its not good enough for your needs you're welcome to get cracking with improving it

Comment

There is a big percentage of people that want max performance out of their system. And they buy nVidia.
        trouble is when nvidia or amd has its blob on your system it becomes 'their system' ( see previous post )

Comment

I actually might be moving back to the blob soon as Blender's OpenCL renderer is getting close to being ready.

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            its not 'their open driver' its 'our open driver' ...... so if its not good enough for your needs you're welcome to get cracking with improving it
            In order to improve something in Open Source you have to a) know b) can and c) want. There are very few that are capable of all three that do it for free and certainly i am not one of them (skill wise).

Code doesn't write itself. And in the AMD case they help a lot (employ 4 or 5 FOSS hackers) even if they are not obliged to (the documentation is out there). They write most of the code so in many ways its "their code" that they give to everyone for free.

Comment

AMD Catalyst Will Not Support Next Xorg/Kernel version Anytime Soon
              Did you expect wayland support? You fool...
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It's astonishing that some people cannot get their heads around the idea the for a product as complex as a modern GPU, open drivers are little more than a nice promise today. I may be more simple minded, but I'll take what works, thank you. Would I like all drivers to be open sourced? Sure! But there's this thing out there called "the world" that you can't just ignore. Or change at will.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  It's astonishing that some people cannot get their heads around the idea the for a product as complex as a modern GPU, open drivers are little more than a nice promise today. I may be more simple minded, but I'll take what works, thank you. Would I like all drivers to be open sourced? Sure! But there's this thing out there called "the world" that you can't just ignore. Or change at will.
                  This!

The current open source drivers are useless and until this changes I'll stick with the binary blobs.

Comment

In order to improve something in Open Source you have to a) know b) can and c) want. There are very few that are capable of all three that do it for free and certainly i am not one of them (skill wise).

Code doesn't write itself. And in the AMD case they help a lot (employ 4 or 5 FOSS hackers) even if they are not obliged to (the documentation is out there). They write most of the code so in many ways its "their code" that they give to everyone for free.

So you don't know but yet you shout with much finger pointing at X/Y/Z company as if you do know? Wouldn't you be better frequenting (H)ard forums or Win forums or something? I thought phoronix was a FLOSS biased forum?

You could learn how and learn how to want to do? or is it easier to whinge and use a blob?

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                      So you don't know but yet you shout with much finger pointing at X/Y/Z company as if you do know? Wouldn't you be better frequenting (H)ard forums or Win forums or something? I thought phoronix was a FLOSS biased forum?

You could learn how and learn how to want to do? or is it easier to whinge and use a blob?
                      It's definitely easier to use a blob.

Why would somebody try to learn the intricacies of GPU driver programming just to get his $300 card to work right?

Comment

Working...
                      X