X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    its not 'their open driver' its 'our open driver' ...... so if its not good enough for your needs you're welcome to get cracking with improving it
    In order to improve something in Open Source you have to a) know b) can and c) want. There are very few that are capable of all three that do it for free and certainly i am not one of them (skill wise).

Code doesn't write itself. And in the AMD case they help a lot (employ 4 or 5 FOSS hackers) even if they are not obliged to (the documentation is out there). They write most of the code so in many ways its "their code" that they give to everyone for free.

Leave a comment:

• ShadowBane
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's astonishing that anybody would actually use a blob these days!
    I actually might be moving back to the blob soon as Blender's OpenCL renderer is getting close to being ready.

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    There is a big percentage of people that want max performance out of their system. And they buy nVidia.
    trouble is when nvidia or amd has its blob on your system it becomes 'their system' ( see previous post )

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    As long as they fix a few issues with their Open driver (PM primarely and video decoding/encoding) i won't care if they never do TBH.
    its not 'their open driver' its 'our open driver' ...... so if its not good enough for your needs you're welcome to get cracking with improving it

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    There is a big percentage of people that want max performance out of their system. And they buy nVidia.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    This. Looking at the radeon driver, we'll get 2D acceleration, some OpenGL support and basic power saving that will sometimes work on 6 years old card by 2020. That is so the way to go...

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Non issue, who cares if AMD and Nvidia do not support vaporware?
    I downloaded me some of that vapor and vaporized it into a usb key

I then booted into it just for sag and guess what?

the vapor came through

here check 4 oneself http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/

Leave a comment:

• Rallos Zek
    replied
    Non issue, who cares if AMD and Nvidia do not support vaporware?

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    As long as they fix a few issues with their Open driver (PM primarely and video decoding/encoding) i won't care if they never do TBH.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael
    AMD not aggressively supporting Wayland isn't entirely surprising since new Linux-specific
    features to the Catalyst driver tend to come rather slow, even when it comes to supporting
    new Linux kernel and X.Org Server releases that generally require small modifications to
    support the new API/ABI. Generally this support doesn't come until the change is necessitated
    by Ubuntu or one of AMD's supported enterprise Linux distributions (i.e. Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    and SUSE Linux Enterprise).
    *mimimi*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X