X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Jesus, and I thought people here were emotionally attached to OpenGL.

Really, are the X11 gnomes coming to your guys' houses and blowing you in the middle of the night if you promise to never use another low-level windowing API?

Yeah, Wayland has a ways to go. The people in charge of it know that. The people in charge of X.org know it too. Largely because those two groups are comprised of many of the same people.
    ...from the guy who gets blown by Ballmer every night.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    If they run faster, that's good.

I just hope that down the road they won't drop xWayland....that will a big no no.
    Why not?
    Xwayland may be needed initially (because some apps make X calls).
    But down the road, almost all applications will run fine without X, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied

Really, are the X11 gnomes coming to your guys' houses and blowing you in the middle of the night if you promise to never use another low-level windowing API?

Yeah, Wayland has a ways to go. The people in charge of it know that. The people in charge of X.org know it too. Largely because those two groups are comprised of many of the same people.
    Sounds awesome.

Call me when it's ready yawn

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Keep in mind that this is just an early technology demo; this stuff isn't going to be forced down our throats just yet. And when it is, the end user (hopefully) won't notice any negative side effects. Remember that X applications run atop xwayland faster than on the native x-server.
    If they run faster, that's good.

I just hope that down the road they won't drop xWayland....that will a big no no.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Now if you clicked the above video, here's a page break so you can get a beer to preserve your sanity
    LOL. Do US teenagers actually enjoy listening to this auto-tuned crap?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied

Yeah. They're also baking us cookies and pies.

Leave a comment:

• edmon
    replied
    X is dead. Long live Wayland!

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Why are GTK and Qt not themed?
    Looks awful when not!

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
    Also, the GTK theme that is shown is the default GTK theme, blame the devs of that project for the default looking terrible.
    I wish GTK and Qt improved their default themes.

Leave a comment:

• adrianovic
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Remember that X applications run atop xwayland faster than on the native x-server.
    how do you know? i mean, are there benchmarks somewhere public? because that sounds amazing, if that is true.

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Jesus, and I thought people here were emotionally attached to OpenGL...
    Jesus, I still find people emotionally attached to DirectX, even after Valve showed GL is faster. Those guys still keep trolling about DX being alledgedly snappier and stuff, hopeless people.

Side note, an improved clip of Rebecca's Friday:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X