X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    And of course don't underestimate the average weirdbeird who hates change.
    ...it's always a good option not underestimate me

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    I doubt that will take decades to X go away...UBUNTU will drop it at 1st chance and that will affect lot's of other distros based on it....

...and no, to make a wheel of a different material doesn't count as reinventing it...it's still circular nut square/octagonal/whatever
    For the mainstream distributions might be the case but there are people (or organizations) who need to run weird/complex apps that only work on X and those people usually pay to get support and keep things running. And of course don't underestimate the average weirdbeird who hates change.

Its not going away as soon as some might think.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    On some thread on The H someone actually even called D-Bus "bloated shit that gets forced down our throats"...
    What an apt description. Whoever said that is a gentleman and a scholar.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Yet you personally just did that. You can remove PulseAudio on any distribution if you so desire.
    In binary distros, no you can't, without recompiling everything that depends on it.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by pq__ View Post
    No. XWayland will actually live on a little longer than the standalone X server (like you know X today) will.

Why? Because not all software will ever be ported away from X; either because there is no source, or because no-one wants to put in the effort, and some of that software will stay useful.

And even the standalone X will take decades to die. Really, X is not disappearing anywhere in any such timeframe you could possibly care.

Btw. the wheel has been invented again a lot of times: wooden cart wheel, air-inflated rubber wheel, bicycle wheel, all the different car wheels... and for very good reasons. Try to drive a modern car with 100-year-old wooden cart wheels.
    I doubt that will take decades to X go away...UBUNTU will drop it at 1st chance and that will affect lot's of other distros based on it....

...and no, to make a wheel of a different material doesn't count as reinventing it...it's still circular nut square/octagonal/whatever

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Many of the Wayland developers are also X.org developers including its founder. PulseAudio is the de facto audio mixer for Linux and it's developed together with ALSA developers because you know, PulseAudio runs on top of ALSA.
    No, actually i know of what i'm talking about....i might haven't express myself well because English is not my natural language.
    I knew perfectly that PA works on top of ALSA...

"many of" is not the same as "all of them"....and my point fits as well to them....if they kept their efforts all to the X and ALSA projects , we might haven't these issues....

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    The problem with PA and WL is that if those devs joined instead X and ALSA they might just have contributed to solve the problems of those w/o breaking anything, but NOOOO, they just love to reinvent the wheel .:rolleyes
    You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Many of the Wayland developers are also X.org developers including its founder. PulseAudio is the de facto audio mixer for Linux and it's developed together with ALSA developers because you know, PulseAudio runs on top of ALSA.

Leave a comment:

• pq__
    replied
    There you go !!!! S**T all over

Imagine that if some "old" games make X calls....if xWayland is discontinued ( and IT WILL BE DISCONTINUED) those games won't run

So, i'm supposed to do what if i still like, like many do, play those games ?!? Use WINE to play their Windows versions ?!?
    No. XWayland will actually live on a little longer than the standalone X server (like you know X today) will.

Why? Because not all software will ever be ported away from X; either because there is no source, or because no-one wants to put in the effort, and some of that software will stay useful.

And even the standalone X will take decades to die. Really, X is not disappearing anywhere in any such timeframe you could possibly care.

Btw. the wheel has been invented again a lot of times: wooden cart wheel, air-inflated rubber wheel, bicycle wheel, all the different car wheels... and for very good reasons. Try to drive a modern car with 100-year-old wooden cart wheels.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    I get the feeling that the majority people against the modern "techs" implemented in Linux (PA, WL, systemd) are a buch of weird neckbeards that use odd WMs with half the functionality of a proper DE and do everything through a terminal thinking this makes them 1337.

FFS the world moves forward.
    Well, FWIW, i have nothing against systemd , as for my WM, i use XFCE so it's not that odd , is it ?
    As for the terminal thing, yeah, i do some stuff there, but i prefer not to do....then again, i'm not afraid to do so.
    (It's also funny that you mention the Terminal because many times users have to resort to the Terminal to solve PA issues)

The problem with PA and WL is that if those devs joined instead X and ALSA they might just have contributed to solve the problems of those w/o breaking anything, but NOOOO, they just love to reinvent the wheel .

Guess what ? a wheel is a wheel and it only works well if it's round not if it's square

Yes, the World moves forward....but forward is not always the best direction...using a gamer terminology, sometimes it's best to strafe
    Last edited by AJSB; 11 August 2012, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    I get the feeling that the majority people against the modern "techs" implemented in Linux (PA, WL, systemd) are a buch of weird neckbeards that use odd WMs with half the functionality of a proper DE and do everything through a terminal thinking this makes them 1337.

FFS the world moves forward.
    ++

On some thread on The H someone actually even called D-Bus "bloated shit that gets forced down our throats"...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X