• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

Phoronix: Open-Source Doom 3 Running On Wayland

The dhewm3 engine, which is one of the open-source forks of the id Tech 4 engine similar to ioDoom3, is now working on Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0NzI

• dhewg
    replied
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    I can't read the video online in the article. When right-clicking, i can copy the url, which seems dead. Tested both with chromium and mplayer2, using ipv4 under linux.... ?

Resolving static.hackmii.com for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server static.hackmii.com[79.136.53.163]: 80...

connection timeout
    Should be fixed now

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Video link dead ?

I can't read the video online in the article. When right-clicking, i can copy the url, which seems dead. Tested both with chromium and mplayer2, using ipv4 under linux.... ?

Resolving static.hackmii.com for AF_INET...
    Connecting to server static.hackmii.com[79.136.53.163]: 80...

connection timeout

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Generally id tech 4 has trouble probing the amount of VRAM available when using the FOSS driver, meaning you have to specify it with a launch parameter.

For instance,
    doom3 +set sys_videoRam 512

No idea if that is relevant at all though.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 08-01-2012, 10:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9a3eedi
    replied
    That's excellent

I doubt that the slowdown on high resolutions is due to a filled VRAM, it's got 1GB, and assuming the driver reads it properly and use it, it'll take way more than Doom 3 at high resolution to fill it up, I think

Leave a comment:

• dhewg
    replied
    Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
    Those are pretty good framerates, but then again it's on 640x480.. have you tried higher resolutions?
    Yeah, I know, 640x480 windowed is just what I run most of the time, so the game doesn't get in the way when working on it.
    With the same settings @1600x900 its 79fps on all three runs.
    On even bigger resolutions it starts to slow down to a crawl, but I didn't look into that. Maybe a mesa bug, maybe filled vram, dunno.

In any case, r600g makes doom3 more than just playable.

Leave a comment:

• 9a3eedi
    replied
    Those are pretty good framerates, but then again it's on 640x480.. have you tried higher resolutions?

Leave a comment:

• dhewg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    What frames were you getting without the capture then?
    With X11, Radeon 6850 and i5-3570K, SwapbuffersWait off, vblank_mode=0, ultra quality settings @640x480 windowed, 64bit release build (vanilla is 32bit only) I ran 'timeDemo demo1.demo' 4 times, dropped the first result, and I get:

Code:
    vanilla			122	123	120
    release sdl1		119	121	119
    release sdl2		119	120	117
    I currently cannot run weston on drm because of https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52267. So only weston on X11 for me atm, which doesn't make much sense to benchmark (For the record, its ~95fps).

Once that bug is fixed I can post some numbers...

Leave a comment:

• 9a3eedi
    replied
    Originally posted by dhewg View Post
    That video wasn't about performance, its about the port running on wayland.
    It was a debug build, weston was running on x11, and the capture process itself adds a significant overhead. So the on screen fps display you see in the video doesn't reflects the performance of the port itself or the open source drivers.
    I realize it wasn't about performance, but I was just wondering why the framerate was lower than I expected

Your explaination makes more sense now, thanks.. since it's a debug build and with all that overhead, it's no wonder the framerate is somewhat low.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the framerate in that video seems pretty low for a game that's supposed to be 8 years old now. (it's not THAT low, but being a 8 year old game I would expect at least a constant 60 fps or higher)

I wonder what sort of hardware the guy is running, and what's causing the low framerate...

And it would be interesting to see the difference in framerate/performance between X11 and Wayland, that way we can know for sure if Wayland really is all what the developers seem to say it is.. a "simpler" and "faster" display protocol than X.
    Originally posted by dhewg View Post
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    What hardware were you using for this?
    Radeon 6850 and i5-3570K at stock clocks.
    (charlimit)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X