• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nerdopolis
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Does clipboard work in Wayland?

What happen, if I open a application, copy something, then close it.
    Will it still be in the buffer ready for me to paste it, or will it be gone?
    I tried it. It acts glitchy under some circumstances...
    ...I but I opened two terminals, copied text off one and closed it and then pasted it in the other one.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
    I dunno, the more I read about what wayland is in this thread, the more I keep thinking "this is just X11 with a different name" lol
    As far as i understand it it does the same job (period) while removing parts that are not needed in a modern graphics stack and simplifying the codebase. For the end user it will make no difference.

Leave a comment:

• 9a3eedi
    replied
    I dunno, the more I read about what wayland is in this thread, the more I keep thinking "this is just X11 with a different name" lol.. so basically it's a protocol (much like X11) that can manage windows and workspaces (much like X11)..

I was under the impression that Wayland provides a very thin layer for applications to dump their GUI stuff on. I didn't think there would be window management involved or anything like that.

Please forgive me if I sound noobish here.
    Last edited by 9a3eedi; 13 June 2012, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pq__
    replied
    Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    A protocol to speak with what? Gallium? Or between GTK/QT and the compositor (Weston)?
    asdx is correct.

Wayland is the protocol. Just like X has the X11 protocol, for clients to talk with the server. So yes, you could say it is between toolkits (Gtk, Qt, EFL, ...) and a server.

Libwayland (often just "wayland") is a C library, which implements the Wayland (core and few extensions) protocol bindings, and offers a C application programming interface for easy use. You could say that libwayland turns C function calls into bytes that are transferred through a local Unix socket, and it does also the opposite.

Weston is the reference Wayland server (and a compositor and a window manager in the same package). It is the reference compositor, because it is what the Wayland depelopers mainly work on. There are also other Wayland compositors, I think Qt has a handful, for instance.

Leave a comment:

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Wayland is the protocol.
    A protocol to speak with what? Gallium? Or between GTK/QT and the compositor (Weston)?
    Weston is a WM/compositor/display server that uses the Wayland protocol, isn't it?
    I don't really know, hence why I asked. So don't ask the clueless, better explain it to him...

Sorry if I sound noobish, but in that topic I am.

Leave a comment:

• thofke
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    "It won't be long now until Wayland has a tenth of X's features. "
    haters gonna hate. even if H?gsberg is convicted of killing his wife, wayland is gonna gonna die. never!
    I understood it as a positive remark. How long is X11 under development? With this rate of progress it will easily surpass X in a short time. Google 'sailing ship effect' and you see what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    "It won't be long now until Wayland has a tenth of X's features. "
    haters gonna hate. even if H?gsberg is convicted of killing his wife, wayland is gonna gonna die. never!

Leave a comment:

• drag
    replied
    Weston will probably be to Wayland what TWM is to X Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    So Weston is just for testing Wayland and will not be used on desktops when Wayland will replace X, I think.
    It will most likely remain as fully featured and very extensible compositor. Like we now have multiple X.org window managers in the future we will have many Wayland compositor and Weston will be one them along side Mutter, KWin, Compiz and others.

Leave a comment:

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    The compositor, display server and window manager are the same in Wayland. They're one single entity AFAIK.
    You're sure?
    What is Weston good for then? And if it's harlinked to Wayland cause it's one single entity, why is it called a reference compositor then?

//EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland...er_protocol%29
    So Wayland is a window manager, but:
    "Existing compositing window managers, such as Compiz, KWin, and Mutter are expected to implement Wayland support directly, to become Wayland compositors / display servers."
    So Weston is just for testing Wayland and will not be used on desktops when Wayland will replace X, I think.
    Last edited by V10lator; 12 June 2012, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X