Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    Wayland is the protocol.
    A protocol to speak with what? Gallium? Or between GTK/QT and the compositor (Weston)?
    Weston is a WM/compositor/display server that uses the Wayland protocol, isn't it?
    I don't really know, hence why I asked. So don't ask the clueless, better explain it to him...

Sorry if I sound noobish, but in that topic I am.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      A protocol to speak with what? Gallium? Or between GTK/QT and the compositor (Weston)?
      asdx is correct.

Wayland is the protocol. Just like X has the X11 protocol, for clients to talk with the server. So yes, you could say it is between toolkits (Gtk, Qt, EFL, ...) and a server.

Libwayland (often just "wayland") is a C library, which implements the Wayland (core and few extensions) protocol bindings, and offers a C application programming interface for easy use. You could say that libwayland turns C function calls into bytes that are transferred through a local Unix socket, and it does also the opposite.

Weston is the reference Wayland server (and a compositor and a window manager in the same package). It is the reference compositor, because it is what the Wayland depelopers mainly work on. There are also other Wayland compositors, I think Qt has a handful, for instance.

Comment

I dunno, the more I read about what wayland is in this thread, the more I keep thinking "this is just X11 with a different name" lol.. so basically it's a protocol (much like X11) that can manage windows and workspaces (much like X11)..

I was under the impression that Wayland provides a very thin layer for applications to dump their GUI stuff on. I didn't think there would be window management involved or anything like that.

Please forgive me if I sound noobish here.
        Last edited by 9a3eedi; 13 June 2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
          I dunno, the more I read about what wayland is in this thread, the more I keep thinking "this is just X11 with a different name" lol
          As far as i understand it it does the same job (period) while removing parts that are not needed in a modern graphics stack and simplifying the codebase. For the end user it will make no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Does clipboard work in Wayland?

What happen, if I open a application, copy something, then close it.
            Will it still be in the buffer ready for me to paste it, or will it be gone?
            I tried it. It acts glitchy under some circumstances...
            ...I but I opened two terminals, copied text off one and closed it and then pasted it in the other one.

Comment

Working...
            X