Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Android Back-End For Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: The Android Back-End For Wayland's Weston

As a sign the support may soon be merged, the patches needed for having an Android back-end for Wayland and the reference Weston compositor were published on the mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm on the first, boat, train, plane away from Facebook, Google, Android, etc. In other words, I've firewalled Facebook, planing to iptable Google too, once I get off Gmail, and waiting for Linux to hit properly on my ARM tablet and Mele A2000 TV box to ditch Android. I just want hard core Linux.

Comment

@e8hffff
      Just curious.
      What distro are you going to use?

Comment

Maybe he'll build linux from scratch. Who needs a distribution anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          @e8hffff
          Just curious.
          What distro are you going to use?
          Yeah you're going to play on the wording, 'hard core Linux'

I run Kubuntu 12.04. Hehehe yeah KDE... yeah Canonical.

We need to consider many government's have policy/laws to put in back doors for popular computing hardware and operating systems.

I don't trust Google nor Facebook. Facebook is so pathetic/lame and a NSA data miner that you'd be stupid not firewall it. Google is more practical but much the same working as FB regarding NSA. There are alternatives to Goggle.

Regarding Android, it simply doesn't excite me, even though it's 1000x better than Microsoft Phone OS.

I get sick and long for my normal Linux applications when ever I use Android. I just can't wait to flash out Android whent he option is there.

I also can't see why developers are wasting precious time on porting for Android or Windows. Get Wayland A1 on proper Linux first and then let the other platforms beg or do the mileage to get the equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
            I also can't see why developers are wasting precious time on porting for Android or Windows. Get Wayland A1 on proper Linux first and then let the other platforms beg or do the mileage to get the equivalent.
            It's good to work through any portability issues in the API before it's frozen.

Comment

Regarding Android, it simply doesn't excite me, even though it's 1000x better than Microsoft Phone OS.

I get sick and long for my normal Linux applications when ever I use Android. I just can't wait to flash out Android whent he option is there.

The point behind the android platform is that it provides an easy interface for one to use with a smartphone or a tablet. Using programs that are very dependent on a keyboard and mouse would not exactly be convenient to work with on those platforms: touchscreens arent nearly as precise as a mouse, keyboards are nonexistant on most phones (so no keyboard shortcuts, etc.), among other problems.

But anyways, you should check out these 2 apps in the market, assuming you have root:
              1. Linux Installer: lets you install a debian image into a phone/tablet that you can later chroot. You can then run pretty much any program that's avaliable in the debian armel repository. It's not perfect and it has some issues (for example there isn't any support for FPU), but it's easy to install. You can get linux servers running on it that way, ssh for example or apache
              2. X Server for android: it is what it sounds like.. written from scratch. It's very primitive right now and most things don't work on it, but it's a very new project and the guy is still working on it.

I agree about your point that they should focus on getting Wayland working on Linux first though.. but I guess different developers are interested and more specialized in different things, which doesn't make focusing on one target very practical for everyone.

Comment

Because, like it or not, silicon vendors are mostly only doing Android kernel enablement now, and vanilla Linux is something that might happen later, if at all. If Wayland wants to be relevant in mobile/embedded/etc, it has to run on the base Android stack, end of.

Comment

There are alternatives to Goggle.
                  Would you name one or more of them? Even better would be if you also explained why you think they are any better.

Don't worry, 'hard core linux' gets easily and often mixed with Kubuntu as they are just the opposite things..

Comment

Working...
                  X