Whoops, There's A Big Problem For Wayland GTK+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    And how old is this statement? One or two years?
    Well until they reissue another statement we'll have to assume that they haven't changed their mind. That said if there's a massive shift towards Wayland then NVidia will reassess the situation, their Linux customers are likely mainly in the 3D/SFX market and if these companies wants to start running Wayland on their workstations NVidia will oblige I'm sure. Thankfully the great work by the nouveau devs is making this into less of a problem.

Comment

wayland needs kms? do people realize that kms is broken for millions of computers worldwide. many times I had to do the nomodeset thingie in grub.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        wayland needs kms? do people realize that kms is broken for millions of computers worldwide. many times I had to do the nomodeset thingie in grub.
        Well, Wayland is probably the future, but not the present. The whole stack gets better over time.

Comment

i've reported it to almost every linux forum, including this. kms is broken on many macs including the mac mini and macbook air. this is a known bug.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            And what have you done to help with that? Have you tried reporting bugs?

I never had problems with KMS, what driver/GPU were you using?
            Idem. The only problem I had with KMS was in my Unichrome box, because it's not ready yet.

Comment

i've reported it to almost every linux forum, including this. kms is broken on many macs including the mac mini and macbook air. this is a known bug.
              So, it seems you're using broken hardware. I never had any problems with KMS on my PC.

Comment

That's not reporting a bug. You report it to bugzilla (or any other bug filing framework kernel devs use) or to their mailing list. Not all devs are in forums, you know?

This can help you. I didn't read it yet because I've never found a mainstream bug (well, as a matter of fact, I've found a few, but they were already reported and fixed when I did figured out they were kernel bugs), and the ones with Openchrome were reported directly to their devlist.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to put the link http://kernelnewbies.org/FoundBug.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  In general, KMS in the blobs doesn't sound impossible. They would need glue in form of a kernel module with the actual functionality being provided by the blob.
                  Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                  KMS won't be easy for nvidia to implement in their binary blob (anyone remember the mess when OSS drivers became KMS enabled?). Another hard requirement for Wayland is EGL support, which I don't know if the binary blobs support.
                  Really? nVidia already support EGL and KMS in proprietary driver for Tegra. AMD already support EGL in driver for embedded hardware.
                  EGL is not strict dependecy for Wayland by the way (check Wayland FAQ).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    So file a bug if there isn't one already.
                    Actually there are several bugs already, just search https://bugs.freedesktop.org/.

One of the more notorious ones: Radeon KMS on Macs with EFI boot. The workaround is to modify the kernel with a patch that was rejected by the radeon developers, and make it load the VGA BIOS from a dump you created in bootcamp.

Comment

Wayland requires kernel modesetting, or kms. It DOES NOT require KMS. Notice the difference in capitalization.

The nvidia and fglrx blobs already contain working kms systems in their drivers - they just use a different API than the open source drivers do (KMS).

That means those drivers just have to patch Wayland to interact with their own kernel drivers instead of the OSS APIs. That should be very simple to do, as Wayland handles that code very cleanly. Their drivers already have to heavily patch X to get it to work, so they just have to do the same thing to Wayland, but it will be much easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X