Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Technical Plans For Making Wayland 1.0

Phoronix: The Technical Plans For Making Wayland 1.0

After laying out plans earlier this month at FOSDEM for releasing Wayland 1.0 this year, Kristian H?gsberg has now written a more detailed message to the Wayland developers that outlines some of the TODO list and other plans for making Wayland 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want to be able (as a user or developer) set the GPU affinity for my programs!

Is Wayland for displays what PulseAudio is for audio devices?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      I want to be able (as a user or developer) set the GPU affinity for my programs!

Is Wayland for displays what PulseAudio is for audio devices?
      Actually, I'd take that one step further. We need something like DXGI, i.e. an API to available GPUs and displays (which display is connected to what GPU, what capabilities does it have, can it do stereo 3d, what subpixel format does it use, etc), as well as a way to initialize an EGL context on the desired GPU/display combo.

The per-display subpixel format is necessary for modern multi-monitor systems. Right now, if you try to use two monitors in different orientations (portrait & landscape), the second monitor will render text incorrectly - there's no way to specify per-display subpixel configurations!

Comment

many ICCCM improvements
        Wait, I thought Wayland isn't trying to use X interfaces, isn't ICCCM a big joke and a broken lowest common denominator that is like 20 years old? Why support it under Wayland? Wayland is supposed to be a clean break with new, clean, modern interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Wait, I thought Wayland isn't trying to use X interfaces, isn't ICCCM a big joke and a broken lowest common denominator that is like 20 years old? Why support it under Wayland? Wayland is supposed to be a clean break with new, clean, modern interfaces.
          AFAIK, ICCCM is just a big list of behavioral policies X-applications should adhere to, so that they work together and don't screw up each other, most of which is decent enough. When an X-application gets ported to wayland, it still brings along most of that behaviour. As Wayland also needs such policies, ICCCM is a good place to start, cleaned up and waylandified ofcourse.

Comment

My question is that it seems they might find a way for supprting two RENDERING gpu's, (as in prime, and vga_switcharoo), but is this supporting two DISPLAY gpu's where there are two video cards, each with a screen, or supporting those USB to VGA/DVI things. I would like to ask that, but I don't know how to reply to it on the Mailing list properly without breaking the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
              Go troll somewhere else, scumbag.
              ?????
              ?????

Comment

- About "remote Wayland" support, "maybe try to make remote wayland actually happen, to see if there is something in the protocol/architecute that makes it harder than it should be." This past summer was the not too successful remote Wayland project as part of Google Summer of Code.
                hell, yeah!

Originally posted by asdx
                Go troll somewhere else, scumbag.
                holy shit, and they say i'm the tactless one

Comment

Still hoping

Still hoping that Wayland will die like other X replacements, but that is looking less likely now.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                    Still hoping that Wayland will die like other X replacements, but that is looking less likely now.
                    Uh, why exactly?

Comment

Working...
                    X