Wayland Is Almost Ready For Showing Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    Wayland is more efficient in many scenerios, especially when it comes to stuff like compositing where X is unnecessarily convoluted and/or architecturally outdated.
    Can you point me towards some benchmarks? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
      I've no idea whether X is responsible on any level, but I'd be interested to see whether OSes using Wayland can play videos without the audio sync problems I've been plagued with on every Ubuntu box I've ever built.
      That's the entire point of Wayland - super fast rendering of video. Interestingly enough, I've not had issues with audio sync when using mplayer on Ubuntu (on X).

Wayland is taking Linux in a new era where it will become king of the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        That's the entire point of Wayland - super fast rendering of video. Interestingly enough, I've not had issues with audio sync when using mplayer on Ubuntu (on X).

Wayland is taking Linux in a new era where it will become king of the desktop.
        I always had problems with audio being out of sync with XBMC, but there is no problem when I enable the AV sync in the XBMC options.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Can you point me towards some benchmarks? Thanks.
          Is this a joke question?

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
            Is this a joke question?
            Why? Was it funny?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Why? Was it funny?
              There are no Wayland benchmarks because the display server isn't even in beta development stage yet. No desktops currently are able to run on it, but most major ones are being ported to Wayland. KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment. For now, the only "benchmark" running on Wayland is glxgears.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
                There are no Wayland benchmarks because the display server isn't even in beta development stage yet. No desktops currently are able to run on it, but most major ones are being ported to Wayland. KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment. For now, the only "benchmark" running on Wayland is glxgears.
                And..? Is it faster? What are the results of this glxgears benchmark?

Also, when are we going to see a Wayland port of the Phoronix test suite?

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
                  So how do we know that it's "far more efficient"? So far, it doesn't really do much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Is this a joke question? Glxgears is not a benchmark.

When it's ready. Who knows? Maybe in 2014?!?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

Ol' good answer. Google "Wayland benefits". You're always likely not to be the first asking.

Though I'm quite sure you have no idea what the Wayland Display server is if you're asking when PTS will be ported to it. It's even not yet released, let alone used anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X