No announcement yet.

Enlightenment Is Enlightening Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I am begginig project with Qt, any one can explain why Enlightenment was chosen for Tizen, instead of Qt?
    Does Qt has a problem with embedded devices? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Since I am begginig project with Qt, any one can explain why Enlightenment was chosen for Tizen, instead of Qt?
      Does Qt has a problem with embedded devices? Thank you.
      i will make a wild guestimate and say that the reason behind favoring EFL on Tizen is that Samsung is one of the main backers. They have invested in E and pay devs.

Comment

Also since we have e people answering questions.

Has there been any discussion between the desktop environment (KDE, E17, Gnome etc) and wayland people in order to create an official compositor?? I don't know if writing compositors is an easy task but the potential fragmentation might cause trouble. Not in interoperability since all will speak the wayland protocol but in terms of resources etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Has there been any discussion between the desktop environment (KDE, E17, Gnome etc) and wayland people in order to create an official compositor?? I don't know if writing compositors is an easy task but the potential fragmentation might cause trouble. Not in interoperability since all will speak the wayland protocol but in terms of resources etc.
          There were always lots of compositors for X11, like KWin, Compiz, Metacity, Mutter etc, and this will continue with Wayland. There is nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
            There were always lots of compositors for X11, like KWin, Compiz, Metacity, Mutter etc, and this will continue with Wayland. There is nothing wrong with it.

thanks and pardon my ignorance.

Comment

Answers

You are very welcome If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us:

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                i will make a wild guestimate and say that the reason behind favoring EFL on Tizen is that Samsung is one of the main backers. They have invested in E and pay devs.
                Enlightenment was chosen due to it's speed, low resource requirements, and ability to run on just about anything I am sure Samsung did their research on all the toolkits before choosing one.

Not to put anyone's choices down or to knock other peoples work (no flame wars please), but I have always found QT to be heavy and a bit slugish...but again, that is just my personal opinion.

Comment

I've never really thought about it before, but eventually qt wayland clients should be able to speak to the gtk (etc.) compositor (assuming api compatibility...), and vice versa, right? So if qt clients appear when a gtk compositor already exists, could they use gtk's compositor instead of their own, is it required (i.e., are two compositors not able to run side-by-side)?

Being able to use a pre-existing compositor would keep resource duplication and redundancy down. And although it wouldn't make qt and gtk apps' decorations the same, a wayland extension could possibly be made which would allow decoration resources to be shared between toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
                    Enlightenment was chosen due to it's speed, low resource requirements, and ability to run on just about anything I am sure Samsung did their research on all the toolkits before choosing one.

Not to put anyone's choices down or to knock other peoples work (no flame wars please), but I have always found QT to be heavy and a bit slugish...but again, that is just my personal opinion.
                    ...and because they had pre-existing code and experience with Enlightenment (I read almost all of the thread on the ml, and this point was made several times).

I don't find that Qt is all that heavy, but some applications/libraries which rely on it (most infamously, in KDE*) are.

*no offense intended, I'm sure they're working on that

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                      I don't find that Qt is all that heavy, but some applications/libraries which rely on it (most infamously, in KDE*) are.
                      Maybe try compiling gtk, qt, and efl and take the time on each

Comment

Working...
                      X