No announcement yet.

A Screensaver Interface Comes To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bwaahahahahah, are you serious? It's so much more modern and better than that icky X11! Let's add functionality that's pointless and wasteful instead of making it useful!

Comment

If you have an idea for an improvement to Wayland, please speak up. If all you have to say is X11 is good enough or "X11 could be made just as good as Wayland" (or better), we've heard it already and saying it again won't make any difference.

You don't need to use the screensaver interface, Wayland compositor implementations can ignore screensaver requests if they (the compositor) or you want them to. On the other hand, if you have any good ideas, if you know how to write a compositor, or you are good at creating specifications; there are plenty of people who could use your help, who aren't being helped by your content-less posts in these forums--either the people who are working on X11 or those working on Wayland.
      [/rant]

There was also a recent set of patches to add a screen-locking protocol. Probably related to this interface.
      Last edited by Nobu; 22 November 2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        If you have an idea for an improvement to Wayland, please speak up.
        Actually fixing basic rendering on radeon (HD 6550 here)?
        Since it is not even able to render the wayland-terminal neither native or as X client I see not much sense in "testing" it much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Actually fixing basic rendering on radeon (HD 6550 here)?
          Since it is not even able to render the wayland-terminal neither native or as X client I see not much sense in "testing" it much.
          have you asked the people in the mailing list and/or IRC about your problem????

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            have you asked the people in the mailing list and/or IRC about your problem????
            Nope. I might will. But it's not just any problem. It's so bad that it completely trashes the output and hangs the whole graphics card.
            First I need to take some time to get some useful debug output from EGL and the radeon driver.

Hey, at least the wayland terminal doesn't segfault anymore when wayland is running as a X client. Its output is just broken. Progress.

Comment

Nope. I might will. But it's not just any problem. It's so bad that it completely trashes the output and hangs the whole graphics card.
              First I need to take some time to get some useful debug output from EGL and the radeon driver.

Hey, at least the wayland terminal doesn't segfault anymore when wayland is running as a X client. Its output is just broken. Progress.

then how do you expect it to be solved

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                Screensavers belong to the 90s and should be removed everywhere.
                All ultra cool brand new smart phones have the feature of lock the screen and show some image while you try to unlock it.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  Yep I've seen LCD burn in ... and it was indeed a login screen at my University.
                  Per corporate policies, all our corporate desktop computers have a corporate screen-saver installed, that displays an animation involving the corporate logo; but the animation is not as animated as it should, and the corporate logo ends up being burned into our corporate LCD monitors...

Comment

Great, it took a whole day for my posts to appear here, and then they appeared in the middle of old posts.

Anyway, more on screen locking and screensavers here: http://ppaalanen.blogspot.com

Comment

Heh, without cairo-gl it actually works. Didn't think cairo-gl was so broken when it is so long around already. Then it is working at least as X client, but in console, still horrible.

Comment

Working...
                      X