X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescience500
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I think when a major commercial vendor wants to spear ahead adoption, it would be useful to contribute resources and hire people who spend time fixing bugs and adding features. For instance, Mark claimed earlier he was going to invest in Nouveau but seems to have not done that. Even major projects like NetworkManager which Ubuntu relies on so much has pretty much just Red Hat working on it and could certainly use more help. Marketing is needed but one can't stop with that. Obviously Canonical is not merely packaging anymore. They are doing significant investment in new code like Unity. I think investing more in common resources instead of just the differentiating bits would go a long way
    I agree. I can understand maybe if a company that's not profitable or barely profitable not contributing much, but developing unity just seems like such a waste to me. They are just reinventing the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by bhassel View Post
    Canonical's goal has always been to clean up and package others' work to make it available to a wider audience, not develop the software themselves...

- Mark Shuttleworth, http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/517
    I think when a major commercial vendor wants to spear ahead adoption, it would be useful to contribute resources and hire people who spend time fixing bugs and adding features. For instance, Mark claimed earlier he was going to invest in Nouveau but seems to have not done that. Even major projects like NetworkManager which Ubuntu relies on so much has pretty much just Red Hat working on it and could certainly use more help. Marketing is needed but one can't stop with that. Obviously Canonical is not merely packaging anymore. They are doing significant investment in new code like Unity. I think investing more in common resources instead of just the differentiating bits would go a long way

Ps: All opinions are my own.

Leave a comment:

• Larian
    replied
    I just hope that when Wayland hits, (and they start cramming it down our throats), it will be in a better state of readiness than PulseAudio was.

Leave a comment:

• bhassel
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    How much has Canonical contributed to Wayland since then? Are they actually doing something for a change or are they still totally reliant on others to do their work for them?
    Canonical's goal has always been to clean up and package others' work to make it available to a wider audience, not develop the software themselves...

I didn?t found Ubuntu as a vehicle for getting lots of code written, that didn?t seem to me to be what the world needed. It needed a vehicle for getting it out there, that cares about delivering the code we already have in a state of high quality and reliability. Most of the pieces of the desktop were in place ? and code was flowing in ? it just wasn?t being delivered in a way that would take it beyond the server, or to the general public.
    - Mark Shuttleworth, http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/517

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    How much has Canonical contributed to Wayland since then? Are they actually doing something for a change or are they still totally reliant on others to do their work for them?
    i think (this means i might not be correct) they hired a guy to work on unity/wayland integration and i think someone is working with input

afaik the people that contribute to wayland come from intel mainly

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    It's approaching the one-year anniversary of when Mark Shuttleworth announced Ubuntu is going to deploy Wayland with Unity

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Running Wayland On Ubuntu 11.10

Running Wayland On Ubuntu 11.10

Phoronix: Running Wayland On Ubuntu 11.10

It's approaching the one-year anniversary of when Mark Shuttleworth announced Ubuntu is going to deploy Wayland with Unity, eventually. As those know that pay attention to the continual flow of information from Phoronix regarding the next-generation Wayland Display Server and Linux graphics drivers in general, it's being developed at a brisk pace and with several key open-source projects now betting big on its adoption, but how's it playing in the soon-to-be-released Ubuntu 11.10?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X