What's New In The Land Of Wayland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's New In The Land Of Wayland?

Phoronix: What's New In The Land Of Wayland?

It's been a few weeks since really mentioning the Wayland Display Server at Phoronix (the last time was in June when XWayland and xf86-video-wlshm were released). It's not because development of this next-generation Linux display server has stalled, but there's been some progress made and overall just the lower level of activity during the summer months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is the remote wayland GSoC project being worked on and is there any blog or something documenting the progress???

Comment

Since Wayland runs on OpenGL ES 2.0 and AMD promised a year ago that it'll support ES 2.0 natively in its binary PC drivers - can anyone please confirm that the support has indeed landed?

If so I might buy an AMD card instead of Nvidia since I'm about to learn ES 2.0.

Comment

I think that any card supporting OpenGL 2 (or possibly 3?) can also support OpenGL ES 2. I am also pretty sure that the Nvidia binary drivers are already supporting OpenGL ES 2.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
          I think that any card supporting OpenGL 2 (or possibly 3?) can also support OpenGL ES 2. I am also pretty sure that the Nvidia binary drivers are already supporting OpenGL ES 2.
          To claim to fully support ES 2.0 the driver must also support EGL, and Nvidia doesn't, so I can't write pure OpenGL ES 2.0 because such an app needs to be initialized through EGL. There are also a slew of restrictions in ES 2.0 which I wouldn't be able to catch using a typical "desktop" OpenGL driver.

I could settle on testing my stuff on WebGL but it would be at best a stopgap solution.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            To claim to fully support ES 2.0 the driver must also support EGL, and Nvidia doesn't, so I can't write pure OpenGL ES 2.0 because such an app needs to be initialized through EGL.
            Did you try to a context with the OpenGL ES 2.0 profile:

There are also a slew of restrictions in ES 2.0 which I wouldn't be able to catch using a typical "desktop" OpenGL driver.
            Maybe you can try ask nVidia about this kind of OpenGL ES 2.0 stuff and proper support of EGL on desktop?

Comment

Thanks, I was interested if AMD already supports EGL/ES.20 in its binary drivers, we've diverted to nvidia workarounds.

Comment

Since Wayland runs on OpenGL ES 2.0 and AMD promised a year ago that it'll support ES 2.0 natively in its binary PC drivers - can anyone please confirm that the support has indeed landed?

If so I might buy an AMD card instead of Nvidia since I'm about to learn ES 2.0.
                I think Mesa supports ES 2.0. Wouldn't r600g do the job?

Comment

I was interested if AMD already supports EGL/ES.20 in its binary drivers
                  OpenGL ES 2.0 - yes, EGL - no.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    I think Mesa supports ES 2.0. Wouldn't r600g do the job?
                    Yep. But the implementation of GLES 2.0 on Mesa makes the desktop GL 2.1 implementation look downright stable (and it isn't; the desktop GL is alpha-quality at best). You can get a linked binary of libGLESv2.so just fine on Mesa, but good luck running anything more complicated than a game of Asteroids.

Comment

Working...
                    X