No announcement yet.

Wayland For The Ubuntu Unity Desktop Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my graphics driver crashes, I'm just going to restart anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      If my graphics driver crashes, I'm just going to restart anyways.
      Thank you peanut gallery, but I think everyone else would prefer to have their system recover intelligently, which would be an actual feature. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's one argument against monolithic kernels and for microkernels, though I'm sure both kernels still need mechanisms for recovery, but perhaps the microkernel has an easier time with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
        Thank you peanut gallery, but I think everyone else would prefer to have their system recover intelligently, which would be an actual feature. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's one argument against monolithic kernels and for microkernels, though I'm sure both kernels still need mechanisms for recovery, but perhaps the microkernel has an easier time with it.
        Most of the graphics driver stack is still in userspace; the only parts that moved to the kernel were display control (aka modesetting) and memory management.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Most of the graphics driver stack is still in userspace; the only parts that moved to the kernel were display control (aka modesetting) and memory management.
          All I know is that lockups in Linux while running intensive games is far from uncommon, but that's to be expected as there aren't many to begin with, and of course the size of the user base.

Unfortunately, Linux can't even really begin to be properly targeted by game companies due to the lack of standard interfaces to make Linux a platform. Every game that does come out is going to have an annoying, shoddy installer that won't allow users to remove it easily, or completely ignore making an installer.

If the Linux community can't even figure out how to communicate and get all of the basics properly in place for allowing software to be shared/portable between distros, Linux is going to continue to get no ground-breaking titles.

Maybe Blizzard would actually consider porting games to Linux - since releasing for OSX is most of the work completed already - if only Linux had awesome program package installation standards to match.

Comment

Working...
          X