Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Is Now Playing Well With NVIDIA, ATI Drivers

Phoronix: Wayland Is Now Playing Well With NVIDIA, ATI Drivers

For those of you interested in running the Wayland Display Server on your NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards, without running it nestled inside an X Server, it should work if you use the newest Linux kernel code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am really looking forward to using Wayland on, my favorite, Ubuntu ASAP. I hope Canonical won't postpone it for after the next LTS. I want 12.04 with Unity + Wayland!

Comment

This is a bit off-topic but given Wayland and PulseAudio, does anybody else see Linux video/audio moving in opposite directions? Wayland is dropping network transparency for a lean n' mean graphics framework while PulseAudio stacks a network server on top of ALSA.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
        This is a bit off-topic but given Wayland and PulseAudio, does anybody else see Linux video/audio moving in opposite directions? Wayland is dropping network transparency for a lean n' mean graphics framework while PulseAudio stacks a network server on top of ALSA.
        Then don't use pulseaudio.
        With this news though, I may just get motivation to properly setup switching between fglrx & r600g to start trying some of these things (i.e Wayland) out.

Comment

aw, you had me going... from the article title i thought you meant that the binary drivers were playing well with wayland :P

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
            In wayland you will be able to do the same things you do with X but in a different way.

Its just that the functionality hasn't been added yet. Sadly only Kristian is working actively on it.

As for Pulseaudio the only thing that should be done is to be integrated in a single project with Jack in order to have only ONE server handling desktop and pro audio.

Comment

If someone can piece together all the required pieces, it would be cool if they could produce a live CD for would-be testers...

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                If someone can piece together all the required pieces, it would be cool if they could produce a live CD for would-be testers...
                It is not ready yet. There are a lot of things to be done on the wayland side and also window managers must be ported. But before WM get ported the infrastructure must be there which is not the case yet.

If you want to try it i thing there are a few scripts/instructions floating around for various distros.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  In wayland you will be able to do the same things you do with X but in a different way.
                  Did you read what I said? I was talking about architecture. Plain Wayland drops the network transparency stuff from the core framework. Of course you will be able to optionally put an X server on top of it.

PulseAudio on the other side is designed as a server architecture much like X does. No?

Comment

So what advantages does Wayland provide for the end user?
                    Is it really faster than X?

Or the only advantages come in the form of easier development (due to less code bloat)?

Comment

Working...
                    X