Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89c51
    replied
    why i remember that i read somewhere that KMS is not needed and the protocol can be implemented with different ways.

i might be wrong though

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Panix; good question.

Today the older UMS code paths provide a good "fail safe" alternative when the newer KMS code has problems. Over time the expectation is that the KMS issues will get resolved (I think it's mostly a matter of remembering/reinventing old hardware-specific hacks and putting something similar for each into KMS), hopefully before the UMS code bitrots and stops being a useful fallback. This all applies mainly to older (ie already supported) hardware.

For new hardware support, nearly all of it is being implemented KMS-only anyways.

Leave a comment:

• werfu
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    I don't if this is a valid question and/or if it's a dumb question but if so, I will bow out gracefully and appreciate any corrections.

I was wondering if it needs KMS, what does that mean for situations in which kernel modesetting is disabled. That wouldn't be an (optimal) option anymore or?
    KMS is somewhat the holy grail of graphic mode setting. It promise flicker free graphic context changes. In that sense, every body will want to use it. It will become the norm.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    I don't if this is a valid question and/or if it's a dumb question but if so, I will bow out gracefully and appreciate any corrections.

I was wondering if it needs KMS, what does that mean for situations in which kernel modesetting is disabled. That wouldn't be an (optimal) option anymore or?

Leave a comment:

• werfu
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    If Wayland takes off, wonder if nVidia and AMD/ATI will consider providing support for Wayland in their proprietary display drivers?
    If I understood well, all Wayland needs is KMS and GEM (and I guess DRI2).
    So, once these are implemented in NVIDIA or AMD driver, Wayland should run without problem.

Leave a comment:

• renkin
    replied
    Originally posted by ioannis View Post
    do I see tearing ? Isn't Wayland suppose to eliminate those?
    He's running Wayland from within X.. So maybe it's X tearing?

Leave a comment:

• kbios
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    The demo looks very interesting...does Wayland actually improve display performance vs the standard Xorg server?

If Wayland takes off, wonder if nVidia and AMD/ATI will consider providing support for Wayland in their proprietary display drivers?

What about having to recode applications that make calls to the server, if Wayland's API will be different than Xorg
    Fortunately for maybe 98% of apps the transition should be pretty seamless, once toolkits get proper support for wayland. There may (and will) be problems with things like display and window managers, which directly interface with XLib. Also I think (but I'm not sure) some older games use XLib to change the resolution. Ah, and SDL would probably need to be ported too.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Wayland terminal still segfaults for me on resize. (r600g)

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    The demo looks very interesting...does Wayland actually improve display performance vs the standard Xorg server?

What about having to recode applications that make calls to the server, if Wayland's API will be different than Xorg

Leave a comment:

• marek
    replied
    Originally posted by ioannis View Post
    do I see tearing ? Isn't Wayland suppose to eliminate those?
    Tearing has nothing to do with Wayland. It's kernel driver's job. Wayland may only say "I don't want tearing", that's all it can do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X