No announcement yet.

Two Features Wayland Will Have That X Doesn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I ask why does wayland needs EGL? Does it mean that a "Wayland-compatible" GPU driver needs to support OpenGL ES? Is it because primary target for wayland is mobile space?

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown96 View Post
      There is no reason to believe that Wayland will perform better because it doesn't contain network pathways.
      True, I want network support in Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by djtm View Post
        True, I want network support in Wayland!
        First things, first!

Comment

NO... no useless stuff.. you want network? use X

Comment

Wow, I touched a nerve there.
            My thought is that it might be better to have network support in the back of the mind from the start, esp. a good screen scraping API, where solutions like NX and VNC can plug in.
            I'm *not* saying Wayland should actually directly implement the stuff.
            But yes, I can't wait for the sleek thin, efficient display server seems to become. And of course that's the priority.

It's just that in the time of the internet it would be crazy to construct it in a way that by design doesn't support network access.

Comment

Originally posted by Baxter Stockman View Post
              May I ask why does wayland needs EGL? Does it mean that a "Wayland-compatible" GPU driver needs to support OpenGL ES? Is it because primary target for wayland is mobile space?
              If I'm not mistaking:
              EGL is lightweight and is supported by Gallium3D, so why the hell NOT EGL?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                If I'm not mistaking:
                EGL is lightweight and is supported by Gallium3D, so why the hell NOT EGL?
                Isn't EGL a very basic low-level API that just allows you to send stuff to and from the GPU? It's not like OpenGL with tons of functionality and complicated code, I think if you can't get the GPU to run EGL you really can't do much of anything with it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Isn't EGL a very basic low-level API that just allows you to send stuff to and from the GPU? It's not like OpenGL with tons of functionality and complicated code, I think if you can't get the GPU to run EGL you really can't do much of anything with it.
                  EGL 1 is fixed pipeline without the heavy computational stuff, much like that 3dfx Glide, in essence.
                  EGL 2 same thing, but with shaders.

If I'm not mistaking, that is...

Comment

No.

EGL is a platform-independent API you can create OpenGL, OpenGL ES, and OpenVG contexts with, like GLUT or GLX.

Comment

Originally posted by Baxter Stockman View Post
                      EGL is what sets up the environment (surfaces etc..) you need to run OpenGL ES. Normally OpenGL runs with some kind of binding to the display environment (GLX, WGL etc...)... think of EGL as a portable subset of that functionality, used to create the surfaces etc.. which GL ES draws on.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X