NVIDIA Says It Has No Plans To Support Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
    If that were true, then why did NVIDIA propose extensions to X to give it the sort of smooth presentation that Wayland claims to provide, but in a way that will work for everybody?
    http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/013229.html
    I'm guessing it's because it's X.org (as in, not wayland).

Comment

Yes, but the point is that it's a desktop-oriented feature, which drag claimed nvidia doesn't care about.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
        The one thing that you have to understand about Nvidia is that they don't give a flying shit about you. There is only one group of people they care about that use Linux and that is in high-end 3D applications, movie studios, and scientific visualizations. The reason Nvidia cares is because these people spend a shitload of money on hardware and utterly refuse to use Windows.
        LMFAO, uhhuh and those guys were really pushing for items like vdpau, OGL 4 support, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          LMFAO, uhhuh and those guys were really pushing for items like vdpau, OGL 4 support, etc.
          While you're right about VDPAU, I think OpenGL 4 support is mostly for the CADdy's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
            While you're right about VDPAU, I think OpenGL 4 support is mostly for the CADdy's out there.
            Hardly, CAD apps out there are more concerned with <=OGL 2.1 support. CADdy's are the reason why OGL 3 took so long to come about and wound up being somewhat castrated as they were concerned about backwards compatibility.

Comment

I agree that this is "non-news". All one has to do is go over to nvnews.net and look at features requesting items such as "purevideo support" or "sli support". Those features did eventually come and they were only announced once nvidia had a working solution for them to try out.

Comment

Their sales, their sales, their sales are on fiiiirrreee! We don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn! Burn, motherfucker... BURN!

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
                  If that were true, then why did NVIDIA propose extensions to X to give it the sort of smooth presentation that Wayland claims to provide, but in a way that will work for everybody?
                  http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/013229.html

Wayland is designed to provide high performance graphics that use much less memory and performs better then X while simultaneousness being vastly simpler.

I don't see how that patch does any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Possibly that Nvidia is interested in using their hardware in embedded consumer hardware, which is dominated by Linux?

Oh. wait. That's exactly why.

If Nvidia gave a crap about the desktop they would do things like.. I don't know... eliminate the need for xorg.conf, get rid of their stupid twinview stuff. Or have good power management.

Comment

<troll mode on>
                      but no one uses linux,0.0000001% of market? so we dont care about it, lets focus on dx13 in future, everyone loves windows and uses it with smile on face. thats the money way, not the linux dummy stuff
                      <troll mode off>

too bad no one from nvidia read this...

Comment

Working...
                      X