NVIDIA Says It Has No Plans To Support Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Like 3d rendering apps that the movie studios use?
    How would a 3d rendering app "like movie studios use" have anything to do with the features in vdpau? FYI, those "3d rendering apps" such as Maya are a form of CAD. Most of the 3d rendering apps out there utilize the CPU for actual rendering. SLi also is not a common use for such types apps. In fact it wasn't until much after SLi was introduced to linux that they finally started making Quadro SLi capable.

I'm guessing they're the ones who wanted color space stuff.
    Well you would be wrong. That was done at the request of HTPC buffs so that they had a proper YCbCr 16-235 range and was done specifically because of this request for the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      Yes. ION is not for embedded systems. Atom is not for embedded system?

Wow.
      LMFAO, look up what embedded is.

If your not even going to try to think then what is the point in engaging in discussions at all? Stop saying moronic crap like this.
      Seriously, take your own advice.

So your not confusing having GUI tools that edit your Xorg configuration automatically with not actually having a xorg.conf, right?
      This is what happens on my system:

Code:
      $ cat /etc/X11/*conf
      cat: /etc/X11/*conf: No such file or directory
      How about your nvidia Linux systems?
      [/quote]

Gee same as my system with a nvidia card.

Code:
      dean@nemicron:~> cat /etc/X11/*conf
      cat: /etc/X11/*conf: No such file or directory
      dean@nemicron:~>
      Code:
      It's news to me that Nvidia proprietary driver no longer needs Xorg.conf at all anymore. Somebody should let Nvidia know so they can update their documentation. 
      [URL]http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.12/README/editxconfig.html[/URL]
      Why would they when it was X11 that made the changes that did not require an xorg.conf. Those instructions are still perfectly valid for older versions.

Yes. I am not saying that it does not work, I am saying it's stupid that it still exists.
      Why get rid of something that works?

Yes. I am totally impressed that you have Powermizer. Oh, wait. I don't care what random trademark'd BS Nvidia claims your stuff supports.

How about Suspend to RAM? Does that work well for you yet?
      Call it p-states or call it PowerMizer, doesn't matter as they are the same things and they work fine. As far as Suspend to RAM, I already told you it did. "STR works, check"

Thats the stuff I care about. I know that it works ok for some Nvidia users, but it's still crap for others. Especially for most people that don't have new enough card that is supported by the newest drivers.
      FYI I have 10 year old nvidia cards that are working just fine so you don't need anything to damn new. That's the great thing about Nvidia's cards, they are supported well beyond the point where they are still practical to use.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Like 3d rendering apps that the movie studios use? I'm guessing they're the ones who wanted color space stuff.
        Yay. We have a winner.

I'll give you a hint:
        The Shrek movies and other major Hollywood films that use 3D graphics were not modelled, edited, and rendered by people running around with Macbooks with Final Cut Pro installed on them.

A second hint:
        When people are doing protein unraveling, visual simulations, and are working on rendering the data created by the LHC they are not using clusters of Windows machines.

Think about it. Would anybody here think that would be a good idea to run this:

Everyone knew about Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Experiment (a snip at $10 billion) conducted by CERN . The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is t...

Linux is still unfortunately unpopular on consumer desktop. But it's very popular in many different places.

Comment

Also I might add depending on your configuration of system even with the FOSS drivers a xorg.conf maybe needed for anything but basic setups for items such as multiple cards, custom modelines, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            LMFAO, look up what embedded is.
            I guess I'll have to tell the people I worked for half a decade I when I worked with Intel hardware in their equipment it was not really embedded development. They were all excited about Atom boards and finally able to get rid of the crap VIA graphics, too. I'll have to tell them they have to give all that up because the only processors they are allowed to use is ARM ones.

I see.

Wait. I now understand. You can't admit when your wrong about something so you just try using insults to cover up your ignorance and lack of experience.

Seriously, take your own advice.
            Umm... I do.

I am interested in having a actual discussion. Not to read people spouting moronic bullshit like somebody is keeping score or gives a shit. I don't live my life in some stupid sitcom were they confuse intelligence and comedy with people sharing insults. If you want to actually have a rational discussion then have one.

It's nice that Nvidia has gotten rid of xorg.conf. So you don't need to edit that at all to get twinview working or anything like that, right? At least they got something right then.

"STR works, check"
            You were just being too lazy to use words and were not spouting off marketing gibberish. Sorry I was mistaken.

Hrm.

It appears you have a rather unique manner of using those 3 letter combinations. Oh well. Not a big deal.

FYI I have 10 year old nvidia cards that are working just fine so you don't need anything to damn new. That's the great thing about Nvidia's cards, they are supported well beyond the point where they are still practical to use.

Ok.... so your telling me that this 10 year old Nvidia hardware using proprietary drivers suspends to RAM perfectly? Because that is _exactly_ what your trying to tell me if your able to actually follow the discussion.

Because right now I am just thinking your talking about them being able to load a driver and provide some 3D acceleration, which was not what I was talking about all. I have no doubt at all that the the old driver works with only moderate amount of effort given the fact that I have helped several people in the past get decent 3D acceleration out of their old Nvidia hardware in Linux. Just guessing.

Comment

Also I might add depending on your configuration of system even with the FOSS drivers a xorg.conf maybe needed for anything but basic setups for items such as multiple cards, custom modelines, etc.

If the drivers suck they do.

I can add new modelines all day long on my Intel laptop without having to restart X at all. It makes it much easier to get that fabled 'Pixel Perfect' 720p or 1080p on HDTVs... since every HDTVs I run into invariably are shit when it comes to reporting proper mode setting information. It sucks, but there is no amount of effort video card makers can do to deal with shitty television firmwares.

If your curious how that works I'll explain it to you.

I even have a little script I use for when I attach monitors, projetors, and other random devices I happen to run across. Just because I am to lazy to click through a GUI to swap monitors and such.

Code:
              #! /bin/bash
              case ${1} in
                  both)
                  xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto;
                  xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --above LVDS1 ;
                  ;;
                  laptop)
                  xrandr --output VGA1 --off ;
                  ;;
                  sideways)
                  xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1 ;
                  ;;
                  vga)
                  xrandr --output LVDS1 --off ;
                  xrandr --output VGA1 --auto;
                  ;;
                  *)
                  echo "both, laptop, vga";
                  ;;
              esac

I just wish my FN-CRT/LCD button worked. :P

Comment

I guess I'll have to tell the people I worked for half a decade I when I worked with Intel hardware in their equipment it was not really embedded development. They were all excited about Atom boards and finally able to get rid of the crap VIA graphics, too. I'll have to tell them they have to give all that up because the only processors they are allowed to use is ARM ones.

I see.

Wait. I now understand. You can't admit when your wrong about something so you just try using insults to cover up your ignorance and lack of experience.
                Congrats on working in the industry. A few more years and you will catch up to my experience in embedded systems where they are used for a few dedicated functions not general purpose computing. Please, oh please, show me an embedded ION system device.

Umm... I do.

I am interested in having a actual discussion. Not to read people spouting moronic bullshit like somebody is keeping score or gives a shit. I don't live my life in some stupid sitcom were they confuse intelligence and comedy with people sharing insults. If you want to actually have a rational discussion then have one.
                Your doing nothing of the sort. Your just spreading bile with no actual fact. You claim that nvidia doesn't give a shit about the regular user and your wrong. If they had not they would not have put the effort in many of their features.

It's nice that Nvidia has gotten rid of xorg.conf. So you don't need to edit that at all to get twinview working or anything like that, right? At least they got something right then.
                See this is the perfect example of not knowing what you are talking about. Items like twinview are easily loaded off the .nvidia-settings-rc in your home directory which is created from the nvidia control panel.
                You were just being too lazy to use words and were not spouting off marketing gibberish. Sorry I was mistaken.

Hrm.

It appears you have a rather unique manner of using those 3 letter combinations. Oh well. Not a big deal.
                STR is a common acronym for Suspend to Ram. Surprising with your embedded experience that you completely missed that.

How is Suspend to RAM abbreviated? STR stands for Suspend to RAM. STR is defined as Suspend to RAM very frequently.

Suspend-to-RAM (STR) occurs when a system enters a low-power state.

STR is an acronym or could also have the meaning of Store Task Register, Suspend To Ram, Synchronous Transmitter Receiver

Answers is the place to go to get the answers you need and to ask the questions you want

STR - What Does STR Stand For? Definitions of Acronyms and Abbreviations at the Acronym Database. What Does STR Mean? STR Stands For ...

Ok.... so your telling me that this 10 year old Nvidia hardware using proprietary drivers suspends to RAM perfectly? Because that is _exactly_ what your trying to tell me if your able to actually follow the discussion.
                That is exactly the case. That old Geforce 2 works fine with STR and also even supports xserver 1.9.

Comment

If the drivers suck they do.

I can add new modelines all day long on my Intel laptop without having to restart X at all. It makes it much easier to get that fabled 'Pixel Perfect' 720p or 1080p on HDTVs... since every HDTVs I run into invariably are shit when it comes to reporting proper mode setting information. It sucks, but there is no amount of effort video card makers can do to deal with shitty television firmwares.

If your curious how that works I'll explain it to you.
                  No need to explain, I am extremely aware of the shit firmwares on some TV's (some monitors too, I'm looking at you Toshiba and Samsung)

I even have a little script I use for when I attach monitors, projetors, and other random devices I happen to run across. Just because I am to lazy to click through a GUI to swap monitors and such.
                  I'm lazy too that's why I have a little batch script to double click on as well using nvidia-settings.

Comment

How would a 3d rendering app "like movie studios use" have anything to do with the features in vdpau? FYI, those "3d rendering apps" such as Maya are a form of CAD. Most of the 3d rendering apps out there utilize the CPU for actual rendering.

Not rendering with clusters. Actually modelling.. using Linux workstations. They've been doing it for years.

And not just modelling. Compositing also.

Don't be confused by people that think stuff Final cut pro or Photosho are high end applications... They are mickey mouse stuff compared to a lot of other stuff.

And don't try to cover up by saying that 3D modelling is the same as CAD. It's obviously not. Your just making yourself look silly.

SLi also is not a common use for such types apps. In fact it wasn't until much after SLi was introduced to linux that they finally started making Quadro SLi capable.

Huh. Think about what you just said there.

Well you would be wrong. That was done at the request of HTPC buffs so that they had a proper YCbCr 16-235 range and was done specifically because of this request for the feature.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ghlight=16-235

Are you sure you have the right thread?

All I see there is people developing patches for Mytthv and mplayer to take advantage of features in VDPAU.

Were is the feature request for Nvidia? Were is the Nvidia engineer adding support to the driver on the request of folks at the NvNews forums? Is there a bug request or tracking ticket or anything?

In your post you made it sound like some Nvidia employees were reading the forums and decided to add it to the hardware drivers. That thread was about improving the VDPAU supprot in a couple popular linux applications.

Comment

Not rendering with clusters. Actually modelling.. using Linux workstations. They've been doing it for years.

And not just modelling. Compositing also.
                      I am aware of the types of applications you are talking about.
                      Don't be confused by people that think stuff Final cut pro or Photosho are high end applications... They are mickey mouse stuff compared to a lot of other stuff.
                      Never did make that conclusion

And don't try to cover up by saying that 3D modelling is the same as CAD. It's obviously not. Your just making yourself look silly.
                      Not trying to cover up at all. Like it or not 3D modelling is CAD in nature. To what levels varies with the application.

Huh. Think about what you just said there.
                      So because a feature is found later in Quadro products you assume it was all done for them? SLi was derived from their 3dfx acquirement and was on consumer boards years before quadros became capable. In fact most Quadro software official certified drivers do not give any benefit to the apps that the drivers are optimized for.

Are you sure you have the right thread?

All I see there is people developing patches for Mytthv and mplayer to take advantage of features in VDPAU.

Were is the feature request for Nvidia? Were is the Nvidia engineer adding support to the driver on the request of folks at the NvNews forums? Is there a bug request or tracking ticket or anything?

In your post you made it sound like some Nvidia employees were reading the forums and decided to add it to the hardware drivers. That thread was about improving the VDPAU supprot in a couple popular linux applications.
                      Guess you missed this:

Which then appeared in the 260 series drivers

Added ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI. These give the ability to output YUV over HDMI and select full/reduced color range on RGB over HDMI. ColorSpace and ColorRange are X Configuration options and can be changed dynamically through nvidia-settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X