• Show
Clear All

• Remco
    replied
    Trolololol

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    'flawless' - yeah, if you don't have to type non-american signs in java applications. As flawless as taking kde's internationalization and then making it WORSE. If you define 'failure' as flawless, then, yes, ubuntu is flawless. But for everybody who needs more than gnome-with-patched-menus ubuntu soon hits a wall.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    stfu dude, try run JACK on fedora + musician programs ubuntu/debian works flawless
    stop trolling

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    there are three problems with ubuntu:

it is a parasite. The biggest problem.
    ubuntards who think they are l33t because they can type 'tar -cjvf' without breaking a fingernail
    sites like phoronix acting like ubuntu bitch boys.

I recommend:

ubuntu creates retards .. well done.

Leave a comment:

• mugginz
    replied
    Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
    See, this is exactly what we've been saying: objections aren't the product of merit, therefore it's not tall poppy syndrome. Those doing the chopping are only weeding the garden.
    But merit should be present for without Ubuntu having any the bile could be very well accurate.

Leave a comment:

• mugginz
    replied
    Okay, fine. For the sake of argument, let us say that doesn't conform with tribalistic masturbation. What does that have to do with tall poppy syndrome?
    It's infuenced by attention given to another. A desire for those opposite to not have the lime-light. It's not required that there be an actual reasonable basis for them to have a desire that those opposite recieve less favorable publicity.

Again, we're back at square one: merit. If troller be trollin' for his own self-amusement and/or to satisfy his histrionic inclinations, it really doesn't have anything to do with Ubuntu per se, it's meritorious aspects, or otherwise. You can try to insert merit all you like but it's still likely incidental and apocryphal.
    Well Ubuntu being the target by means of being in possession of the bulk of favourable publicity.

It's not necessarily motivated by choice as per what I'd consider classical trolling along the lines of "troller be trollin' for his own self-amusement"

Do you consider the "to satisfy his histrionic inclinations" aspect not a possible motivation in concert with tall poppy syndrome to get the troller across the line and onto the keyboard to express his bile?

Leave a comment:

• etnlWings
    replied
    Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    If the table was turned and either Fedora, Debian, gentoo or Suse was getting the bulk of the bright lights and attention in the blogosphere and in magazines I think it'd be likely you would indeed see a shift of that hate from where it is and it'd move onto greener pastures.

I'm suggesting that there are those that hate it because it is recieving the bulk of publicity and not because of any reasonable reasons.

If Ubuntu had no valid merit then I'd likely not be surprised at statements to that effect.
    See, this is exactly what we've been saying: objections aren't the product of merit, therefore it's not tall poppy syndrome. Those doing the chopping are only weeding the garden.

Leave a comment:

• mugginz
    replied
    Well then if you were seriously suggesting that people hate it because it's good, or of merit, then I really don't know what to say. Surely you must acknowledge that your own motivations aren't necessarily shared by everyone else? 'I like x 'cause it's good, therefore the haters must hate it 'cause it's good, too'.
    I'm suggesting that there are those that hate it because it is recieving the bulk of publicity and not because of any reasonable reasons.

If Ubuntu had no valid merit then I'd likely not be surprised at statements to that effect.

Leave a comment:

• mugginz
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    But if you believe that the anti-Ubuntu hate is due to the tall poppy syndrome, which is caused by Ubuntu's real and measurable merit, then why are there virtually no Fedora-haters or Debian-haters? I admit that there are some gentoo-haters and SUSE-haters, but they are also very few in comparison.
    If the table was turned and either Fedora, Debian, gentoo or Suse was getting the bulk of the bright lights and attention in the blogosphere and in magazines I think it'd be likely you would indeed see a shift of that hate from where it is and it'd move onto greener pastures.

I think that the disproportionate amount of hate Ubuntu gets is caused by the fact that many people see a disconnect between the actual merit and the praise they receive.
    The hate and they way that it's expressed is interesting here. I person not prone to jumping to "tall poppy syndrome" mentality would likely find a more productive path that would possibly explore the basis for the amount of praise given. Reasons for the amount of parise could then be compared and contrasted with the actual amount of merit warranted and a reasonable statement could be made and a possible mechanism to re-balance the praise/merit balance explored if it was so requried. :-)

A part of it is also fueled by elitism, and a part is typical Linux distro-warfare typical.
    The "Don't use that distro, use this one" or "My distro is better than you one" type discussions that are due to the type of elitism you speak of are generally supported by the technical reasons for the view and are a lot more constructive. I'd usually consider these more highly than the typical "Ubuntu sux" and "Why does Ubuntu get all the attention" type.

Leave a comment:

• etnlWings
    replied
    My belief that Canonical's efforts have merit has a relationship with my view that a lot of the anti Canonical sentiments are the result of tall poppy syndrome so yes, my statement "But I think what Canonical have done does deserves merit" is tied to my "I see that tall poppy syndrome is still strong around these parts" and so I would disagree with your assertion "that was clearly not what you were implicating with the 'around these parts' comment."
    Well then if you were seriously suggesting that people hate it because it's good, or of merit, then I really don't know what to say. Surely you must acknowledge that your own motivations aren't necessarily shared by everyone else? 'I like x 'cause it's good, therefore the haters must hate it 'cause it's good, too'.

Of course none of the quotations I referenced above need fit your two listed categories
    That's 3, you've combined 1 and 2.

False dichotomy anyone?

But what about simple old "look at me, look at me" syndrome? Others wanting to move the spotlight of attention away from "that other brand" and onto their own chosen brand. Tear down those others in order to build up someone else in the view of the masses.
    Okay, fine. For the sake of argument, let us say that doesn't conform with tribalistic masturbation. What does that have to do with tall poppy syndrome?

Again, we're back at square one: merit. If troller be trollin' for his own self-amusement and/or to satisfy his histrionic inclinations, it really doesn't have anything to do with Ubuntu per se, it's meritorious aspects, or otherwise. You can try to insert merit all you like but it's still likely incidental and apocryphal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X