No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The popularity has also brought all the shit that comes with large followings like the hoards of trolls to various Linux communities and related sites.

Comment

Wow, hadn't thought that so many people would bash ubuntu for this plan. IMHO, Shuttleworth is trying to move ubuntu radically into the direction of 'idiot-proof linux for the masses'. Unity as default, wayland adoption, ubuntu shop, the 'ubunu' font - those things are geared towards making ubuntu more appealing to first-time users, and those using it in a dual-boot 'get to the web ASAP' style (which Shuttleorth blogged about some months back). He seems to have some vision of getting ubuntu to the masses, and is using his 'beneficial dictator' powers to push through changes he thinks will help position ubuntu in this direction.
      These are bold moves, and only time will tell if this helps to compensate the loss of power-users with fresh first-time users... My guess is that if it works OOTB, most won't bother what works underneath.

Comment

is this bad idea?

Comment

I think there's too much Linux distros that are very similar, and it's good for some of them to try something new, an it'll be good to support alternative projects...

Anyway, if it goes well, we'll just have a better Ubuntu, if not, people who doesn't want to abandon .deb packages could use Linux Mint, or another Ubuntu based distro that will keep X.org, or Debian itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
            The popularity has also brought all the shit that comes with large followings like the hoards of trolls to various Linux communities and related sites.
            That goes both ways. See a windows thread, there will be a os x or linux troll. See a os x thread and you will see a linux or windows troll.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              That goes both ways. See a windows thread, there will be a os x or linux troll. See a os x thread and you will see a linux or windows troll.
              It's an unfortunate side of humanity but were there be people there'll be a percentage of douchebags as well I guess. :-)

When I first started reading these boards I wasn't expecting to find so many troll posts but I then on reflection why would Linux be any more immune from trolls than other platforms?

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                I see that tall poppy syndrome is still strong around these parts.
                I don't know what exactly referring to, but if you're referring to the anti-Ubuntu posts, then things are getting too ridiculous.

RedHat, Intel, AMD, SUSE and many others have developed the technology behind Wayland, and now the Ubuntu folks have said that they might use Wayland in two years.

I don't know, but the suggestion that Ubuntu is the tall poppy here is one of the funniest things ever written phoronix.

They SAID that they might use it in the future. Whoah. Dude. How can we thank them?

Comment

I mean, Ubuntu packages a slick product, and they are successful. They brought new users to Linux, and this is good. Respect where it is due.

But only where it's due, please

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    I mean, Ubuntu packages a slick product, and they are successful. They brought new users to Linux, and this is good. Respect where it is due.

But only where it's due, please

the way i see it is somehow like this:

Redhat, intel etc are the technical side of linux and canonical is the marketing side of it

linux needs both

the 1337/freetard hate towards ubuntu is totaly stupid

Comment

RedHat, Intel, AMD, SUSE and many others have developed the technology behind Wayland, and now the Ubuntu folks have said that they might use Wayland in two years.
                      Where did Mr. Shuttleworth say they were the sole developers of Wayland?

I don't know, but the suggestion that Ubuntu is the tall poppy here is one of the funniest things ever written phoronix.
                      They're successful. People like their distribution. No matter how much or how little of the code contained in the distro is theirs, they are successful. Reportedly the most popular desktop distro. Users are voting with their DVD-ROM drives and USB ports. That's one thing we know.

Now, because some users of other distros are butt-hurt because while the creators of their preferred distro may have more code accepted by upstream, it seems that this code in it's submitted form is chosen by less end users. Blame the end users perhaps?

It would seem that while Canonical may make some changes that upstream isn't interested in, end users are.

Some want to trash Canonical for the success of Ubuntu as if to suggest they're not deserving of their current preferred status. If Canonical didn't know how to package software in a way the people find pleasant and usable then end users wouldn't use it surely.

Ubuntu currently enjoys a pretty descent position as far as mind share goes in the end-user desktop Linux space. If RedHat, Suse, etc want to over take that position they're going to need to produce the code that's best to use in that scenario, not only the most code. Canonical offer their changes to all who wish to accept it. Perhaps the others should take it all onboard?

They SAID that they might use it in the future. Whoah. Dude. How can we thank them?
                      And with this statement you prove my point. :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X