GTK+ Continues To Become More X11-Agnostic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    qt integrates shit to gnome... broken icons... size 50 times bigger than button...
    edit time...

heres 3 examples

and dunno why, but text have strange color, always similar or almost same to inpuxbox background, cant see fonts... need to select text to see

so... stop saying QT is good for gnome

QT isnt divine peace of software, same as GTk isnt, so stop this flame war!

Comment

Agreed that Qt4 emulates Gtk+ about as well as any other *nix toolkit emulates any other *nix toolkit. Qt4 has the dialogues but it fails the moment the Gtk+ environment uses more than one font, it misses settings relating to the display of icons in menus, the display of icons on buttons, the display/placement of scrollbar steppers, ignores a lot of the more complex window matching in the Gtk+ style. Plus Qt4 has a lot of widgets for which Gtk+ has no analogue, like dial widgets, the markers on scale widgets (although they're coming) and plasmids, which look really out of place in a Gtk+ environment.

Comment

edit time...

heres 3 examples

and dunno why, but text have strange color, always similar or almost same to inpuxbox background, cant see fonts... need to select text to see

so... stop saying QT is good for gnome

QT isnt divine peace of software, same as GTk isnt, so stop this flame war!
        Really messed up, but take a look at this:

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Really messed up, but take a look at this:

http://images.clementine-player.org/...tine-0.5-2.png
          hey I know how it should look, but it broke after some time, some updates etc, and it stops look ok, was also experimenting with theme and other stuff.
          So.. icons was ok
          but text in input box is same color as background anyway, need to change motive for that.

i use GTK i dont say its better or worse i just like it
          QT is also good, but i HATE HATE HATE HATE when you use arguments, that QT is KEWL because it looks good on GTK and GTK on Qt doesn't.. its bullshit

both libraries are good, I prefer GTK

Comment

i use GTK i dont say its better or worse i just like it
            QT is also good, but i HATE HATE HATE HATE when you use arguments, that QT is KEWL because it looks good on GTK and GTK on Qt doesn't.. its bullshit

both libraries are good, I prefer GTK
            There you go. That's the right answer, folks.

The truth of the matter is that there's pluses and minuses with each of the popular (key word there...) toolkits and the argument that was getting used is a bit bogus. More to the point, arguments of "native look and feel" keep getting pushed around and while it's a nice sentiment, that "native look and feel" isn't so much so or is obtained by using the Vendor's own toolchain to DO it.

There have been attempts over the years to accomplish this task within the cross-platfotrm space and, so far, the closest to accomplish the stated task has been wX- and IT has it's issues. Most of the time, you end up sacrificing functionality to accomplish the task you're demanding of things. Even wX sacrifices some things to accomplish it's goals there.

Does this mean you should use wX? Perhaps- depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Some things will gain from the support for native UI widgets, some things will explicitly not. You should use the best tool for a specific task and not try to jam something less suited because it meets a tick box item for "native look and feel".

Comment

i dont realy care about "native look" iam flexible enough to tolerate 5 guis...

from windows to gnome.. no problem
              from gnome to KDE.. no problem
              gnome + QT... no problem
              KDE + GTK... no problem...

turnon windows after 3 years of linux only.. no problem...

sory for my sharp tongue, but only "noobs" have problem with native look...

Comment

I've grown to like Qt more just because it IMO tends to look better. However, GTK's cool too.

Regardless..it's amusing how all these people who don't know what they're talking about try to argue something that's moot.

Comment

hey I know how it should look, but it broke after some time, some updates etc, and it stops look ok, was also experimenting with theme and other stuff.
                  In other words... YOU broke it

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    In other words... YOU broke it
                    If you've never broke linux you've never really used it.

Comment

I use gentoo -- breakage is pre-programmed :P

Comment

Working...
                      X