Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Is Now Drawing On Wayland

Phoronix: Qt Is Now Drawing On Wayland
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

can some1 explain me precisely, what wayland exactly is ?

Comment

Maybe this article in wikipedia enlightens you...

Comment

This is very good news.
        I was doubting Intel's interest in Wayland, precisely because they weren't mentioning Qt support, while they are quickly moving to Qt internally.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          can some1 explain me precisely, what wayland exactly is ?
          Wayland is X.org, stripped from everything that's old, the libs and the network protocol and pushes the latest technology, such as KMS, Gallium3D, OpenGL ES, EGL, etc.

It's not, by any means, X11 or 'X12', but just a tiny display server.

It can, however, use X.org's server for Xlib software and client-server computing.

QT and GTK+ are using Xlib, so they must be ported over to Wayland in order to run without the X.org server, which is what is happening now.

Wayland, due to being tiny and clean, is great for embedded devices, which MeeGo targets.

So basically Wayland is the BusyBox equivalent of X.org.

Comment

so.. its great news, finally something not bloated?

all what i need is fast response, no redrawing, no flicker, no "cool stuff" like compiz, just be able to work with very low resource consumption and allows to run drivers and fullscreen programs flawless.

someone knows when it will be ready to use? even beta ?

Comment

I doubt anytime soon. For now it requires Cairo with GL backend which as far as I've been able to decipher is still not nearly production-ready.
              In other words, even if you got a release, you couldn't use it.

Comment

i am curious to see which will be the first desktop environment that will run on Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                  all what i need is fast response, no redrawing, no flicker, no "cool stuff" like compiz, just be able to work with very low resource consumption and allows to run drivers and fullscreen programs flawless.
                  You do realize this "cool stuff" uses your resources more efficiently? It's using the GPU for rendering instead of wasting precious CPU power.
                  Wayland will rely heavily on the GPU, which is a good thing, just like Compiz is.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    i am curious to see which will be the first desktop environment that will run on Wayland
                    Considering that KDE is actively pursuing getting into mobile space, I'd guess its Plasma workspace will be the first to run without the X11 compatibility layer.

Comment

Working...
                    X